Chapter 7

There was no more light. Only a hint of a dying flame pulsating on a small ledge, yet still only darkness. (Y/N) weakly tried to move her body, but the heavy cold shackles weighed her in place.

Her body felt dysfunctional, every limb felt like it was torn in two. What had she done to make her body hurt this much? ...Right. The attempt to escape. (Y/N) forgot.

She lifted her head to see her surroundings, but her eyes strained to look into what was near. All she could make out was a silhouette of another soldier standing outside of what looked like to be her cell, and another cookie that was breathing slowly, curled up in a ball in the cell across from hers. The bars were extremely thick, and the door was made of solid cacao. But in this place, the cacao wasn't a sculptural masterpiece like the palace had. It was much more carelessly put together artistically, more focused upon the secure containment of those who were on the wrong side of the bars.

The musty scent of the unkempt floor and walls thickly clouded the smell of the air, making (Y/N) gag. Her nausea was being worsened by every second.

"...I'm mistaken... your highness.... punishment?" Some words were quietly bounding down by echoes in the place. (Y/N) could only make out splices of words from what was being said.

"...soon trial... ...dangerous..." were the last things (Y/N) heard. Summoning the very scraps of her strength, she used her arms to drag her body as close as she could to the door, dirt and gravel smearing into her clothes which made them uncomfortably soggy.

Feeling her chains locking as she found her limited radius, she curled her knees close to her chest and looked up at the soldier who had his back turned to her. It was almost like he wasn't breathing by how still he was standing.

"The medics tended to her fall. They told us she would be awake by now, but I really doubt it that she's been kept in here her whole recovery." The words began to grow closer as footsteps neared her area. She quickly perched up and tried to maintain a steady posture.

"And you said she was sick for how long before this whole ordeal?"

"A full two weeks. I'm just as mad as you to know that they never realized that we had a sword-stealer. But as for Dark Cacao, you really should cut him some slack. He's still barely a boy, your highness."

"She's awake."

Two figures who were only darkened shadows stood in front of (Y/N), an intimidating aura seemed to radiate off of them both. One of them was dressed in beautifully flowy clothing which draped to the floor, a grand staff in their right hand. The opposite cookie looked very familiar, the same broad shoulders and braid that spilled over the cookie's shoulder. The only thing it was missing was the spiked crown that sat atop of their head.

"Hello there, (Y/N). We wish to speak with you right here and now. You may know what we are referring to when we say you've committed a horrible crime," the well dressed cookie spoke in a firm, yet somewhat uneased voice. "Unfortunately your highness has chosen to skip trial upon your case and do something that deviates from the kingdom's normal protocol."

"It would be extremely light punishment for the treason you've committed." The royal cookie spat.

"What have I done? I don't understand-"

"YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE!" The king interrupted (Y/N) in a fit of fury. The knight and the other cookie flinched.

"Sire, please, we may be able to gain more information on her... ahem... motivations if we treat her with a little respect?" The shadowed cookie tried to lightly object to his impulsive action.

"Cookies like her don't deserve the same respect as others."

Even though she couldn't see his eyes, (Y/N) could feel his glare burning into her.