eight

eight; HE DID DROP ME

Contrary to popular belief, it hadn't been Lily who was Daisy's favourite sister when she was little

Contrary to popular belief, it hadn't been Lily who was Daisy's favourite sister when she was little. No, Lily and Daisy were always close, exceptionally so, and Lily always dropped anything the second her baby sister needed her. But Daisy had always been so enraptured by Petunia.

Petunia, who she looked most like, Petunia, who took her out for ice cream every single Friday after school no matter what she had to put on hold, Petunia, who helped her with her homework and taught her to bake. Petunia, who, like Daisy, didn't possess the ability of magic.

Now, Daisy adored magic, and unlike her parents and both her sisters, she hadn't known a life where magic didn't not exist. It had always been a part of her life for as long as she could remember, and while she was sad when it never developed in her, it was okay because she still had Petunia. Her oldest sister was her best friend, and it was just one more thing that they shared.

Vernon Dursley had put a strain on the relationship between Daisy and Petunia. But it was November 1981 that placed a wedge between two sisters, who were closer than anything once upon a time. Petunia couldn't get over her jealously, and when she couldn't take out her bitterness on a dead woman, she decided to take it out on a baby and then side with her husband on all matters related to her youngest sister. In doing so, she lost Daisy's trust forever.

But, hope was on the horizon.

December bled into January, and the New Year found Daisy in the park with Harry by her side, his emerald eyes wide in awe as he watched the fireworks for the first time he could remember.

Vernon had taken Dudley and Petunia to a week-long event at Grunnings to celebrate the new year. He'd used the excuse that his niece was focused terribly on her studies and his nephew wasn't fond of big crowds to keep his least favourite people on the planet away from his job.

Daisy didn't mind considering Vernon thought she was staying with Emmy and Harry was with Mrs Figg when in truth, they had free reign of Number Four.

Bastard probably should have taken the spare key with him, Daisy thought smugly. She shook herself from her thoughts and focused her attention on Harry, who curled himself further into his blanket while he watched the night sky erupt in various colours of the rainbow.

Her sister, nephew, and brother-in-law had been gone for only three days so far, but Daisy had already witnessed the change in Harry when he wasn't in their presence. She saw the curiosity linger in his eye when none were there to scold him for it. The barest of hesitation when they went to the ice cream parlour, and he could choose more than vanilla, and the way the tenseness in his shoulders melted when Vernon was no longer near him.

Daisy felt more confident than ever in the plan set in motion a mere three and a half months earlier, which was slowly beginning to take shape.

"How cool is this!" Harry exclaimed as he pulled the blanket tighter around his shoulders.