:face to face

Mikasa and Historia brought you up to speed on their lives for lunch. You were happy to see them, again. You knew Mikasa was bound to ask about Armin's performance so far, but to prolong that conversation, you were sure to put the spotlight on them. Historia told you that she finally started settling into her new house, husband and all. She was the luckiest in the love department, her above-average man tending to her needs. Engaged in a conversation with Mikasa, your peripheral betrayed you, yet again.

All of your employees were on break, so it didn't surprise you that one of them would end up in the same space as you but no, not her....the front door chimed as someone else walked in, your heart dropped a bit. Not them.

You had your suspicions but of course, you were too busy doing actual work. Things that required management, skills, business ethics, work practices yes, you were busy, trying to make sure your company didn't tank. Who knew that Armin had enough time to mix and mingle with the other employees? Why did you even care? You wouldn't normally, but it was her again. It was always her...what about her stuck out to him?

"Hello, earth to Y/n?", Historia said, waving her hand over your face as you blinked back into the conversation at hand. You've got to start checking that habit before the wrong person noticed it. On your last glimpse, he was helping her sit down. "Right, what were we talking about again?"

"You, this time. You blanked out when I asked you about Connie.", Historia said as Mikasa tried to hold in a chuckle. Mikasa knew that you hadn't been taking Connie serious at all, at least,  that's what you told her the last time.  But something within you didn't give Historia that same answer. "Connie's great, you know how Connie is... I think I might let him take me out on a date."

Mikasa coughed instead of chuckling, not expecting that response. Historia kept her gaze on you, but she couldn't help the faint look of surprise, it was clear that both of them were not expecting that from you.  "Wow guys, at least act like you're okay with it.", you scoffed as Mikasa gave you a blank look while Historia searched for words. "It's not that I'm okay with it...I thought you just wanted to...be causal."

"Of course I do--I mean, I did...but this is casual! It's just a date to see how things go and-"

"It can't just be 'casual' if you let him take you out...when it comes to Connie, you know how much he likes you.", Mikasa interrupted as you rolled your eyes, shaking your head. "Oh, like how much Jean likes you? That much?"

Mikasa's mouth dropped open as she tried to find her words, but Historia quickly chimed in, between the both of you. "I think that it's good to see where things go. And Mikasa's right...Connie does like you a lot, so maybe you should go on the date and see if you feel the same?" You nodded at Historia's words, giving Mikasa a pouted glare. "See? And she's in love with her man, she knows everything."

"You are a child."

"Takes one to know one Ackermann, after all those years you're still a pain in my side. How's your cousin doing? He's so sexy...", you said, batting your eyelashes flirtatiously, she groaned at you. Historia laughed, picking at her food as dainty as she could manage;  Historia was such a princess, sometimes you and Mikasa heckled her for it. But you three had been friends through college and now established in your lives, and this was your flow, your dynamic that was healthy and fun. Mikasa snatched a fry from you and ate it in faux spite. You heard the bell chime, your eyes briefly flickered to the door as you watched Carmella's hair give way to the wind as Armin held the door open for her. You wondered if he could feel your eye, but he didn't meet it to confirm. Historia noticed your eye and briefly looked back, but she only saw blonde hair as the door closed.