:is there someone else?

Water fell over your face, waking you up, although your thoughts had been running nonstop throughout the night. That little moment at the restaurant; it was risky, quick, and Armin left you at a loss for words,  before just leaving the scene himself. 

Despite your mind telling you that it could've just been a subtle compliment, your heart was already wrapped around the idea that Armin was flirting with you. You'd felt it before but it wasn't like this,  the other times were just in normal conversation. Despite his 'openness', Armin's facial expressions were hard to read, and you'd learned to take his words at face value to save your mind from speculation, but yesterday was the first time, there was no need to speculate. 

"Hey Boss, we've got some final things that Carmella didn't take home with her. She's refused to come to the office, should we just mail these off?"

"No, actually. I'll bring them to her. She may not even answer the door but if she does, it'll be a brief conversation."

"You're brave.", Patricia said, setting down the rest of Carmella's files. " You'd better make sure you don't go when Armin is there."

"What does he have to do with this? Or with her, are they still talking?"

"Still talking?", Patricia said with a laugh, before leaning in as if she had the juiciest details, filling you in. "Word around the office is that he asked her to be official at their date yesterday. A few of us 'round here are becoming Armella stans."

Official? Like, together?

"Armin keeps to himself most of the time so we don't have much to go on, but Beatrice in Marketing totally talked to Carmella afterward about it. It's always easier dating when you're partner doesn't have the same job as you so I don't know what happened but I'm glad she isn't here anymore. It Gives Armella a fightin' chance.", she babbled on. 

Armella, huh? How repulsive.

"Sounds great! I'll try to wish them the best if she isn't too busy hating me. You know what to do with my meetings.", you say, standing up and grabbing your coat as Patricia stuttered at you. "Y-You're leaving now? You just got in and there's so much to do and-"

"Got to make sure I deliver these while Armin isn't there, right? What better time than now? He just clocked in. Thank you for all you do around here. ", you said with a smile, signifying the end of the conversation. You grabbed the files and final check, heading out the door you just came through moments ago. Carmella's address was on her final check, so you input it into GPS and headed there.

"Black is your color, Boss. Dare I say I'm a bit jealous?"

"So jealous that you had to make her your girlfriend, huh? whatever happened to take things slow?", you thought aloud as you pulled up. You took a deep sigh as you looked at the files. Carmella had been with the company for years, but while she didn't grow, she also didn't decline much in performance either. 

She'd just always stay in her cubicle, her work getting done. From the moment Armin walked in, she took too much time into caring for and affirming him, especially when you gave him a hard time. She excelled in that, but she couldn't excel in her work? She deserved to be dismissed. She deserved to be fired for getting so close, so soon. Yes, anything and everything she did provided a reason. You convinced yourself of it, so it rang true. It had nothing to do with Armin, not at all.