6: "You... Dad... Gods?"

The following morning, Tommy had reluctantly gotten up, the smell of eggs filling his nose. He looked to his nightstand, seeing a warm plate of eggs and toast before he smiled. He stood up, cursing in pain from his back, but nonetheless picked up the fragile plate and started to the dining room as he cursed himself out due to the pain he felt while walking.

He'd seen his family around the table, and took his seat where he was the other night- very slowly as he attempted not to move his shoulders too much in fear of stretching his back (it would hurt). This surprised the others, they had thought he was going to take a day or two whining and complaining, but healing.

"Morning, Tommy." Fundy greeted, smiling at the boy as he forked another bite into his mouth.

"Tommy, shouldn't you be resting still?" Sally asked, wiping her son's face off with a napkin, egg yolk having dripped from his previous forkful.

"Mom, I can do it on my own." the fox huffed.

"I'm a big man." Tommy protested, slowly grabbing the fork he'd been given.

He winced when he moved his shoulder wrong, the whole not table seeing it. Well, if they did see it they didn't mention anything- at least, Tommy knew his father saw it and said nothing.

"Theseus, can I talk to you in the other room?" Techno asked, eyes glaring daggers into the blond who was looking up at him curiously.

It's been a while since Techno used his nickname seriously.

"Sure."

The two stood up- Tommy slowly-, manoeuvring their way into the living room. They stood there for a second, before Techno spoke.

"I know you were listening in on us." Technoblade said, face deadpaning at the younger.

"What?" Tommy tried to play it off as though he wasn't, as though he didn't know what he was talking about. As though he wasn't planning his own death to save his brother.

"Hell, Theseus. You're not fooling me. Phil may not see it, but I know you're hurt badly. You listened into our conversation last night, after I told you to go to sleep. You didn't think I'd hear your footsteps when I was going to bed? And your light?" Techno pursued. "You are not going to kill yourself to get Wilbur back. You're extremely injured, I'm quite surprised you made it home alive, to be frank. I won't let you put your life on the line, that's my job."

"Your job? What are you, some sort of wannabe God who wants to protect me? I don't need protection, I'm a big man. If you won't let me get my brother back, I'll just go on my own. Clock's ticking, Mr.Blade." Tommy remarked, heart beating at his own proposition.

"You won't." Techno said sternly.

"I'm not scared of you anymore. You've shown me that to the best of your abilities, you won't let me get hurt."

"While that is true, I can break a promise at any moment. Theseus, you could die out there. I doubt Wilbur would like to come back to a dead brother, so just let the adu-"

"I am an adult!" Tommy hissed. "Yeah, I'm 16, but you took me out on the first trip! You should know better than anyone that I can handle myself!"

"You can handle yourself, but these are people where you can't." he kept his face flat.

"I can handle anyone!" the younger protested, crossing his arms.

"Phil, Wilbur, forgive me." Techno murmured to himself, speaking up after a moment. "Tommy, these people; they're Gods. The man you fought yesterday? A God. The other one? A God. Me and Phil? Gods."

"What..?"

"Gods are real." Techno said, pushing his previous point. "Wilbur was supposed to be the one to tell you, but he's absent right now- and this is the only way I think it will get across to you that you can not handle this fight."

"You, dad... Gods?" Tommy asked, eyes wide. "Is that why..."

Techno thought back to yesterday, before he left. He doesn't know why, but the voices were saying that Tommy was going to repeat the words of his brother.

"You have no emotion, you only know kill, fight and anger. You're a God, and we all know that Gods aren't capable of enough emotion to care."

Yes, Wilbur had said it in a moment of anger, frustration, and had probably not meant those words, but to hear them still- well, he didn't want to say hurt, but that's essentially what it was.

"Is that why you nicknamed me Theseus? Because you're a God, and have some obsession with other Gods?" Tommy laughed, realising just how dorky his uncle- he guessed you could say- was.

Not what Techno had thought he was going to say, thankfully.

"Sure, we could go with that." Techno held back a smile, looking to the dining room to see Phil looking back at him, eyes almost digging daggers. "We should get back to the table."

"Alright, I'm starving anyway." Tommy went to walk away, before Techno very gently rested a hand on the boy's shoulder.

"This doesn't mean you're off the hook, you're still not going to help us."