2: Taehyung

Disappearing for three months freaked me out, because I could have come back with at least one thing figured out, or it could have been a complete disaster. But staying in the same environment had only one outcome possible – disaster - so I dipped. Drove around the country, raced for money, even won myself a new Ford Mustang, and came back. After sleeping in my garage for a while, I moved into a small studio apartment I got for the rest of the money from last season and some of it I won away from the city.

The best yet the worst thing that came out of this was how coming back here and seeing Jungkook and Yeeun at the first race felt like coming home. The best, because away from everyone, I've had a lot time to set the fact in stone. I don't hate him, and never did. And since he already said A, maybe it's my turn to say B and open up a little. He made himself a part of my life twenty or so years ago anyways. Getting rid of him would only make a mess. The worst, because he's willing to forgive me no matter how badly I treated him in the past and I am not sure how to deal with this.

I like how it is now, but I also hate it, because I can physically feel something pulling me back to how things were, and on top of that, Jungkook has to make a fuss about the Japan Race. Not like I don't want to win, not like I would give up the win for him.

I want to win, but I don't feel the same urge to kick his ass as I always did. Just a strong urge to take part in the Japan Race, for the fact that I've wanted this since Sanghoon first told me about it thirteen years ago.

I didn't want to stay for this season. I wanted to quit racing, at least for a while, and see if there is anything else I could find for myself. Something more... meaningful. I love cars and driving, but it's selfish, in a way. I don't do anything special for anyone, I am just polluting the environment.

I know now that Jungkook was never the problem. I was. And since I was the reason why they never loved me, I will work on myself and myself only. The plan just needs tweaking, because now I am staying here and still racing. No matter how much I want to let the Japan Race go, I can't.

When Jungkook comes around before today's race, there is only a little bit of tension after our last weird exchange and before the race that brings us back to square one. Rivals.

But it seems like he's trying, so I will, too.

"Don't use the nitro tonight," I say. "Try it first where the road is straight."

"Yeah, I wasn't planning to anyways." He chuckles, and we both slip into his car for a moment as I explain how to start the nitro. It's nothing complicated – you just have to flick a few switches, press some buttons, and then you're flying.

Jungkook is watching me, and I feel like he's more invested in my person than what I'm talking about. "You sound strangely cool when you talk about cars," he says, when I give him a questioning look.

"I think we've never talked about cars before," I say.

"For real?!"

"We've never talked, Jungkook." I chuckle, patting his shoulder, and get out. When he follows, I add, "Anyways, it should work well, but if it doesn't, tell me. And try not to use it when you're already going 300 kilometers per hour."

I give him the look, because knowing Jungkook, he will try actual flying. And I don't really want to be the one Yeeun blames if her beloved boyfriend ends up with broken legs. He was right, she tends to be intimidating when she's mad.

"If I want a rocket, I will ask," he says. "I'm not gonna use it at 300, don't worry. I haven't even paid this car off, yet. I am not crashing it."

"How's Jimin's Mercedes, though?"

As if he completely forgot about everything, he gasps and goes on a ten minute monologue about the neon lights, and the automatic gears, and the sound of engine that doesn't beat the one in his Maserati, anyways. And as if I completely forgot who I am talking to, I listen like nothing else in the world exists. In almost ten years I had no one to talk to about anything, let alone cars. I've never thought someone just right for it was next to me all this goddamn time.