20: Apocalypse

CW: Mentions of trauma, sexual assault and rape.

(You can play the suggested song when I mention it in between for a better experience!) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You were met with the bag that Levi left for you moments after you got back down from the terrace. It was placed on the couch in your mother's room. She was sound asleep, and you smiled to yourself. You pulled the shirt out of the bag, searching for the stain to brush a thumb against it. Right. You ate the Chinese food he bought for you in the same clothes.

But was that really the reason he wanted to give it to you? He could've thrown it away. There's no rational reason for him to want you to have it unless-

No. You're not going there. Not doing this again, nuh-uh.

The only reason he made you take it is because he wanted you to have the thing you ruined. It's possible to understand that, right?

--

You fell asleep in the hospital couch that night. You were awoken to the sound of a phone call. Squinting your eyes, you took a look at the screen. Connie. Yeah, you didn't do an ounce of work yesterday.

'Ms Campbell?'

"Connie, fuck, what time is it?'

'10AM. Are you okay? You told me you were going to come back yesterday at 3PM but you didn't, so I called Hitch and she said that you were busy getting dick but then I heard the news of Mrs Campbell and I-'

"Connie, sweetie." You mumbled. Hitch and Hange must've thought you left with Levi to get some. "I'll be at work today, okay? I'm at the hospital, yes-" Somebody opened the door and your sleepy eyes sprung up. You were surprised to see Levi, all fresh and collected. And he was surprised to see you, as well-- all nasty and sleepy in yesterday's clothes. "And, uh, Mom's sleeping. She's fine. It's nothing major, just needs rest." You spoke while your eyes followed Levi's actions.

He had a jute bag in his grasp. He made his way to Nova, taking a bunch of yellow daffodils out of the bag to place it on the table next to her. They were her favourite. And then he took out a basket of fruits, placing them next to the flowers. 'Oh, thank God. Ms Campbell, you can take your time. I will take care of your schedule.'

You chuckled, gaining a bit of Levi's attention. "As if I'd trust you with it all. I'll be there in an hour, okay?"

You could practically see how Connie must be frowning right now. 'Okay. As you say.' You hang up, hands moving to rub the sleep out of your eyes. You could take in Levi's figure after you were fully awake. He was just standing there, hands in the pockets of his navy blue trousers.

He was wearing a suit. He probably came here before work. You stood up, not saying anything. It was awkward between the two of you, for some reason. Maybe because there was nothing to say. You spoke first. "Did you know that daffodils were her favourite?" He nodded. "How?"

"She told me. When I brought her flowers on her 50th birthday five years ago. She asked me how I knew daffodils were her favourite, and I said that I didn't."

You didn't know what to say to that. He met her on her 50th birthday? It wasn't that grand, Nova just wanted her close friends and family to celebrate at a beach. And you were sure Levi wasn't there. He probably met her that morning before you all took off. "And the colour? Yellow? How did you know that was her favourite, too?"

He blinked at you with his brows slightly raised. "I didn't."

It made you grow a faint smile. "I won't let her know you stopped by." You blithely said, taking a couple steps to get a good look at your resting mother.