Crumble

The man, much like the car, was generic. Nobody would have noticed him walking down the street, and the only reason strangers wouldn't forget his face was because they wouldn't have bothered remembering it in the first place.

An ideal man to carry out a crime.

So far, he hadn't answered any of Lavanya's questions, but she wasn't too concerned. Instead, she called for another officer to come in to do the interrogation instead.

"Why him?" her second-in-command asked as the two stood outside the room, looking inside through the one-way glass. The officer that Lavanya had asked was a relatively newer member of their team.

"Watch."

The officer walked in and when Lavanya's pursuer met his eye, both men visibly blanched. The pursuer opened his mouth to say something, but the officer quickly said, "I'm here to do your investigation. You have the right to remain silent because anything you say may be used against you in court." His eyes darted towards the one-way glass.

There was no reason to read the prisoner the Miranda Rights at this point, and both Lavanya and the second-in-command knew it. "He's the mole, isn't he?" the second-in-command guessed.

"When we arrested Shyam, I saw him sneak away. Then when we went to arrest Daksh, he and some of his men had already cleared out the building. The only way they could have done that was if someone had informed them. Up until Shyam's arrest, only you and I knew where we were going and what we were doing. After that, our whole team knew and he was the only one who left my line of sight."

"Are we going to arrest him?"

"No. We're going to use him."

***

Arnav whistled as he walked up the steps to his office. The interview had gone wonderfully. He'd checked some of the comments on social media, and they were all positive. Well, mostly positive, but he wasn't too concerned about the trolls. Although it was a bit annoying that a good number of people had commented on how hot Khushi was. She was, but only he had the right to think that.

"What the--" he ran up the last few steps when he saw Aman standing grimly with a few paramedics in front of Akash's office. "What's going on?"

"Akash fainted," Di called cheerfully from inside. "But he's coming around now."

"Why did he faint?"

Di snorted.

"I think he hasn't eaten much today," Payal mumbled. "And he received a bit of a shock."

"A shock?"

Anjali glanced at Payal, who shook her head and whispered, "I don't want to tell him before Khushi. In fact, I'd like to tell the whole family together. With Akash."

"Yeah," Akash groaned, pulling back from the smelling salts. "Let's tell them at dinner tonight."

"Tell us what?"

"Don't worry about it, Chote. By the way, the interview went well."

"Did you see it?"

"Bits and pieces. I'll watch it all tonight with Aarav; he wanted to skip school for it today."

"I want to see it, too," Arnav said, eying the still pale Akash. "Are you going to be alright, Akash?"

"I'm fine, Bhai." The EMT helped him up and Anjali thanked them for their help.

"I'll walk them down," Aman said.

"Payal, take Akash home. Both of you get some rest," Anjali ordered.