Preparations

"My bags?" Payal asked, going through a checklist on her phone.

"Packed," Khushi said, glancing towards suitcases stacked in one corner.

"Presents?"

"Wrapped." She'd double-checked and placed them all neatly on the table herself.

"Havan supplies?"

"Right here," Buaji said, indicating the bag she held in her lap.

"Car?"

Khushi checked the Uber driver location. "Right outside. Let's go."

The three women started out the door, arms full of things. The driver hopped out of his car to help load the trunk.

Another fifteen minutes later, they were finally ready to go.

"It was a good call to have the driver come earlier; otherwise we'd have been late," Payal said.

"Yeah," Khushi agreed. "But I just keep thinking I'm forgetting something...my churiyan!" She pouted. "I still didn't get the churiyan I needed for tomorrow's outfit."

"We can go after the havan," Buaji said. "Why didn't you get them before, Sanka Devi?"

Payal snorted. "Her mind's been occupied lately."

Khushi stuck her tongue out at her.

***

"They're here!" Aarav cheered. He and Bubbly had been watching from the window, waiting for the guests to arrive.

"Just in time," NK chuckled. "Any longer, and I think Akash would have worn a hole in the floor."

The groom, who'd been pacing back and forth ever since Khushi texted him that they'd left (Buaji was still guarding Payal's phone), blushed.

Arnav's lip twitched but he defended his cousin. "Don't tease him so much."

"I'll get the door," Manorama chirped. She ushered in Payal and Buaji, the latter carrying her bag of Havan supplies.

Arnav frowned at Khushi's absence. As if in answer, Buaji said, "Titliya is out by the car. Payalia's suitcases are there; if you could send someone..."

"Say no more," Manorama chirped and sent Hari Prasad to help her.

"I'll go too," Arnav said but Devyani stopped him.

"Chote, call to see where the priest is."

"I'll do it, Naniji," Anjali interrupted. "Chote, you go see to Khushi Ji."

Arnav needed no second invitation and as he strode out, Devyani sent Anjali an angry look.

Payal stepped forward and started taking ashirwad, thankfully distracting her.

Meanwhile, Khushi gathered the presents in her arms. "Khushi Didi, let me take that," Hari Prasad said.

"You already have your hands full with the suitcases," she replied as she tried to balance the numerous boxes.

"It's okay, Hari Prasad," Arnav said, coming up from behind them. "I'll help her."

He started taking the boxes from Khushi, who couldn't quite meet his eyes. She could still feel the traces of his fingers on her back.

"Look at you, blushing like you're so innocent," he teased as the two of them started up to the house.

Pulling herself together, she shot back, "We can't all be devils like you."

"Admit it: you lov--like my devilish side."

Her pulse shot to the roof at his slip of tongue. "I've never had a problem admitting anything. You're the one who's been running away like a little girl."