Overwhelmed

"Look, Mom," Aarav said, tugging on Anjali's hand. "Chote Mamaji is going to dance with Khushi Didi."

"Yes, sweetie, I see that," she replied, unable to take her eyes off her brother on stage.

As the two danced, Anjali had to pinch herself a few times. She wasn't dreaming. Arnav and Khushi really were dancing. Did this mean that her brother was ready to declare his feelings for her?

The chemistry that they had could rival Payal and Akash's. If anyone had any doubts of their feelings for each other, they would be resolved now.

She glanced at her grandmother, whose eyes were wide in disbelief. Would she still deny it after this?

The dance ended but no one reacted, the room still in a stupor as it tried to recover from the emotionally charged scene.

It was Madhubala that pulled them out of it by offering them a standing ovation. As the room cheered, Anjali saw Arnav and Khushi exchange smiles and then exit the stage from opposite sides.

"I knew they would have great chemistry," Madhubala crowed. "Make sure you book me at least three months in advance for their wedding, Devyani Ji."

Naniji looked like she was about to punch someone.

The choreographer didn't notice, however. "Come, little boy. Let's go work the crowd."

"My name is Aarav," he complained. "What does work the crowd mean?"

"It means we're going to brag about my students and win some more clients."

As they walked away, Devyani suddenly smiled brightly. "Well, that was certainly sweet."

Manorama scoffed. "Sweet isn't the word I would use."

Ignoring her, Devyani continued, "It was so nice of Chote to go up to the stage so Khushi Ji wouldn't be embarrassed, especially after that little dance she did earlier--and there he is now."

Anjali turned her head and watched as he approached. He looks quite pleased with himself.

"You danced well, Arnav bitwa," Manohar complimented.

"Thank you, Mamaji."

"Didn't know you had it in you, Bhai," Akash teased.

"You should thank him, Aman Ji," Devyani said. "He only went up because of you. Right, Chote?"

Arnav shrugged.

She's trying so hard to make excuses for his behavior, Anjali thought. Mamiji is right--she really doesn't want them to be together.

Aman's mother smiled. "Yes, thank you, Arnav beta. If it weren't for my Mano's stage fright--"

"Ma, can we please stop bringing that up?"

"It's nothing to be embarrassed about--"

"Look, there's Khushi Ji," Aman exclaimed, relieved for the distraction.

Arnav didn't turn his head to look at her, but his lips tilted upwards. Khushi had changed back to her regular clothes and looked as cheerful as always.

Anjali noted that they both seemed to be acting like everything was normal. Surely they weren't going to ignore what happened, right? If they did, she'd kill them.

"What did you think of my dancing?" she said as she plopped down next to Payal.

"It was fine," Buaji said stiffly. Anjali had noticed that she'd been uncomfortable throughout the dance.