Dancing Hearts

A disgruntled Arnav returned with Aman. "I couldn't find Mr. Das anywhere. Did he leave alr--"

A marigold hit his face, and in annoyance he turned to find the source.

What the--

Khushi Kumari Gupta stood on stage, twirling around a slingshot and meeting his stunned expression with a cheeky smile.

La la la la la la la

What in the world?

She lifted her eyebrows slightly in a What's up gesture and winked at him.

He could only stare in disbelief.

Suddenly, she looked scared and started walking backwards, bumping into a girl dressed in a business suit and carrying a stack of papers.

The papers flew and the business suit girl put her hands on her hips as she appeared to scold Khushi before crossing her arms and turning around in anger.

Arnav's astonishment gave way to curiosity.

Didi tera jeth ji deewana

Khushi tossed aside the slingshot and danced behind the business suit girl's back.

Kiya karein, yeh hasna bhi na jaane

She turned the business suit girl around, and pinched her cheeks

She butted the girl off stage for a second and did an exaggerated angry swagger-walk thing

Aman said, "That's--"

"It's me," Arnav said, unable to take his eyes off the stage.

Aankhon pe hai, dil pe hain taale

Kiya karein, yeh hasna bhi na jaane

"Did you know she was going to do this?" Buaji asked Payal.

Payal shook her head. What in the world?

Aankhon pe hai, dil pe hai taale

She pulled a lock out of faux-Arnav's pocket

Manorama snorted. She and Manohar had joined them in the beginning of the dance, but no one had noticed.

As Khushi danced during the instrumental, Anjali whispered to Akash. "How mad do you think he is?"

He glanced at his brother's shocked face. "I don't think it's hit yet."

Laptop si kardo tum inkhi saghai, office ki banjai phir ye jamai

NK was almost crying with laughter at this point. Even Lavanya was smiling.

Kaanti si kahthi hai yeh prathay, What the kehki hai ji roz humein darathien

Arnav's lip tilted upwards. She'd been doing her research.

Ghusi ki yeh dhondi bahani

Anjali nudged Akash with her elbow and pointed at Arnav, who'd covered his face with his hand as his shoulders shook.

Kiya karein, yeh hasna bhi na jaane

Was he crying--no, laughing. The cousins looked at each other in delighted amazement.

Didi tere jeth ji deewani, kiya karein, yeh hasna bhi na jaani

The dance ended with Khushi and faux-Arnav sitting cross-legged, Khushi gently clasping one ear as if to say, Sorry, don't be mad.

Amazing, Arnav thought as he clapped. She really was one of a kind.

***

Khush hummed as she locked the door behind her. There was no point in changing back to her regular clothes since the last dance would begin shortly so she went to the rack where their last outfits were hung.