Communication Gap

Payal placed the last pratha in the hot pot before handing it to Om Prakash. "These are ready," she said. "I'll pour the juice and bring it. Where are the pitchers?"

"In that cabinet, Bhabi."

"Okay, thank you." As he walked out, she opened it and reached for the pitcher.

Almost there...she stretched further when suddenly a hand reached out from behind her and grabbed it. "Here you go."

Payal flushed as she took it. "You can move back now," she told Akash.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder. "But I'm so comfortable here."

"Akash," she murmured, even as she leaned further into him. "Please. I need some space."

He smirked. "You weren't saying that last night."

A throat cleared from behind them, and they hurriedly detached and whirled around.

Anjali, amused by their matching red cheeks, said, "Sorry to disturb you, but we're waiting on you two for breakfast."

"Sorry, I was just getting the juice."

"I'll help," Akash said eagerly.

"The two of you will just distract each other," Anjali said. "Both of you go, I'll bring the juice."

She hummed as she pulled the juice out of the fridge. Last night had gone well. But the highlight of it had been a single moment that wouldn't let the smile fall from her lips.

When Aman and his mother had been leaving, Anjali had walked them out. She and Aman had helped settle his mother into the car and then she'd walked him around to the driver's sight.

"Thank you so much, Aman Ji, for all your help. You've gone above and beyond the call of duty."

"Of course, Anjali Ji. And um..."

"Yes?"

"I didn't get a chance to tell you this before, but you look beautiful."

"Oh." Feeling uncharacteristically shy, she mumbled, "Thank you. You look very handsome, too."

He nodded, glanced away and then back again with something like determination in his eyes. Slowly, he leaned in and pressed his lips to her cheek. He stepped back and searched her face for any sign of discomfort. Satisfied, he'd smiled and gotten into the car, leaving Anjali staring after him, until Arnav came looking for her.

She sighed now, as she finished reliving the memory once more. What was she to do? As much as she knew she wasn't good for him, he made her so happy.

"Di," Akash called. "We're waiting on you now."

"Coming!"

***

Khushi winced as Arjun's seven year old daughter let out another ear-splitting scream. She and the six year old had been fighting all morning. Can't even have breakfast in peace, Khushi thought miserably.

"That's enough!" Vristhi screeched at the boy. "Leave her alone."

"Stay out of it!" he snapped.

"Don't talk to your mother like that," Arjun scolded.

"Why not? That's what you said to Dadiji last night."

An awkward silence befell the table until the boy pulled his sister's hair, making her scream again.

***

"Okay, thank you," Khushi said as she hung up the phone. She'd just called and made Buaji an appointment with the doctor for later today. WIth that taken care of, she decided to call Arnav back. She was practically giddy with anticipation as the phone rang once, twice and then--did he just decline her call? Maybe he was busy, she tried to justify, but felt unsettled.