Chapter 35: Under the Soft Blue Light

If my father hadn't left me, I always wonder where life would direct me. I encountered many types of people in my life; people who pulled my self-esteem down into the abyss of hell; positive and outgoing individuals who seemed like to be sun themselves; some were heartless humans; other hearts were full of tenderness and compassion like pure saints. I had one best friend who set me up as a stepping stone so to pose himself as a knight in shining armour in front of his middle school crush who was also my best friend at the time. They didn't help me. More like, they didn't have one care to spend it on me.

If my father hadn't left me, I always wonder where I'll be standing on this world today. If he hadn't abandoned me in the dark, there wouldn't be a need to cover my ears to block those mocks and jeers mixed along with words of pity and comfort. I guessed there wouldn't be a day where I have to raise my head to seek solace from the clear vast sky with my stormy eyes. There wouldn't be a reason to hate myself and rip my pathetic body to shreds.

If he had stayed by my side, what kind of person would I be?

"A-Akashi, I-I can't do this," I stuttered weakly to the redhead as I tried to find strength to make myself audible. Akashi didn't look to my way but instead he gently pushed me forward, bluntly ignoring my overwhelmed state of mind I was in.

The dry air-conditioned atmosphere. The strong powdery subtle scent of a typical aged man. Fragile arms holding me into a tight embrace. I felt it. An emotion so pure and distasteful that even my dry tongue could taste surged through me greatly. Once again, I failed to find words to say. I let my tears speak for itself.

"I-I'm sorry, Y-Yume. I'm s-sorry. I-I know I've been a pathetic father to you," he sobbed onto my shoulder while I felt his hand patting the back of my head. "I-I've regretted. I'm still regretting everything. I cannot fathom the incredible amount of agony I've put you through all these years. I'm sorry for everything," he gnashed his teeth, grieving.

Ever since he pulled me into his embrace, I could hardly breathe the dry thin air around me. Had my asthma come back to suffocate the living daylights out of me? Not exactly. My health problem wasn't the cause, but it was only me containing my breath. My head began to pound irritatingly as a result of the lack of oxygen in my brain. I suddenly spread my arms out at my sides, rashly breaking the intimate contact. I didn't want to be near him anymore longer. Seeing him or even knowing that he's breathing the same air as me was a significant reminder how alone I must have been; how easy it was for him to abandon me, his own flesh and blood.

"I-I'm going now. T-This will be the last time y-you'll ever see me," I sniffed, rubbing both of my eyes to clear the tears away from my line of sight. I kept my head low, enduring each second as I stand so close with my father while blocking all the uncomfortable gazes that were boring holes on me. Spinning around to the direction of my departure, a meaty hand, sensing that it belonged to my father, clung onto my right arm, delaying my heartless exit. Vigorously, I tried to shake him without any sign of response to his pleads, but he just continued to press himself onto me.

My temper rose. My face began to feel hot. For a second, I thought my cool was about to blow off. I opened my mouth and released an exasperated complaint, "I don't have any business with you anymore. Let go of me,"

"Onee-chan needs to think things through. Please give her space, dad," the young woman who was holding held her child from afar sped to the grey haired man's side hurriedly yet carefully. For a moment, I stopped struggling. Her voice was soft and light as a feather despite the panicky tone hiding anonymously underneath her breath. Anyone could've mistaken her for whispering when she spoke. "Dad, please. You're hurting Onee-chan,"