Chapter 22: Who Knows

It was a dream. It was all just a dream. Okay, it wasn't just a dream. We kissed for crying out loud. It didn't felt like a dream, it was as if I was actually there but at the same time it felt surreal. I couldn't remember what happened afterwards; the kiss; it was vague to me.

He kissed me. He kissed me. He kissed me! I should be squealing and jumping up and down. Heck if I'm willing to, I could throw myself out of my classroom's window and die happily. Wow. I have an amazing talent for exaggeration. But for some reason, I couldn't do that stuff peacefully, even in my own time.

Since the day I left Kise's villa, what Akashi last said in my dream has been bothering me lately.

"No. This will be the last,"

Like bubble gum, those words stuck at the back of my brain. When I'm bored, I indolently think of that and in the end I'm left puzzled and unsatisfied. Unsatisfied, as in the answer is missing from me; like a lost puzzle piece. That displeasing feeling you get after reading a book which tragically ended with a cliff hanger.

Conclusions and senseless answers pops up but it'll just confuse you even more until eventually, you're left dead blank; an annoying endless spiral of provocation.

Last.

Last.

Last.

Last of what exactly?

What did he mean by that?

"See me by the end of this lesson, Miss Yume," a voice snapped at me.

I fluttered my drooping eyes open and jerked my head to the voice. "W-What?"

In English class, my teacher, Suzuki-sensei, calls us by our first names. I avoided the stares I was getting from my classmates around me.

"I said, see me by the end this lesson. Have you been daydreaming, Miss Yume?" Suzuki-sensei asked, earning a few laughs. I kept a straight face, contemplating if she intended to do that. Yume means dream so it sounds weird. A pun if you ask me.

She walked off before I could even answer her question. To be honest, I'm glad she did. It would have been awkward if she stood there, waiting for my dumb excuse. I stared down at the empty straight lines of my notebook in boredom while my ears picked up foreign words. English is my worst subject; I'm okay with all the rest.

In front of me was an empty desk which belonged to the only red head in the class. Akashi left after barely ten minutes throughout the slow lesson. President duties, I heard; he had to meet up with the rest of the student council members so he's going to be a tiny bit late for today's lunch practice.

I sometimes worry about him. How he's coping with all those massive responsibilities all by himself. Filling out papers in the student council office; hosting school events; maintaining perfect grades; basketball captain duties; after school cramming; plus tons of homework has been recently taking a toll on us. An average first year will find it impossible to juggle that amount of tasks but Akashi makes it look so easy without even breaking a sweat.

Always; he's always the one helping me; always being there by my side; the same person that always make me cry and smile. Why am I unable to repay the debt? He's done so much for me, especially counting the part when he listened to my past. I'm always the root of the problem while he's the solution.

Will there come a time when Akashi leaves me completely? If so, spare me a sign so I can prepare myself for the worst.

There was the song of the bell, announcing the end of the lesson and the start of lunch break. I went up to Suzuki-sensei who was sitting behind her desk full of papers as my classmates shoved their way out through the door hastily.