Chapter 28: Do You Know Him?

"Miss! Yoohoo! Miss! I'd like to take an order!"

"Coming!" I called out, swiftly turning my head at a comfortable angle to glance at the customer who summoned my service. I focused my attention back onto the two young girls, giggling and chatting, related to boys and such. They both politely paid their respects to me after I set their desired beverages and food in front of them. I responded with a nod and genuine smile then noticed something familiar about their school uniforms.

'Rakuzan High School,' I thought, sliding in between narrow tables as my smooth reflexes dodged incoming customers. An unusual nostalgic feeling slowly bloomed inside my chest after sighting a crowd of teenage boys in grey blazers, passing by the café glass window. It's been seven years since I graduated as a high school student.

In one of my last days in Rakuzan, I finally decided not to attend university due to its high rate tuition fees. Many of my friends along the way tried to do something to solve it despite juggling their own problems, busy study schedules and life itself but I begged to them not to intervene with my financial problems. I didn't want them to see me as an orphan. If they knew I am one, there will be no end to stopping those reflections of pity through the language of eye contacts.

However, in the very last minute, the principal informed me that he found a university that gladly wanted to take me into their business curriculum, which I majored throughout those three years of high school, without providing me a single rational explanation. The first thought that came to mind was someone trying to pull my leg into some kind of joke or scam; an unusual chance like this to occur to me was very inane.

I was given an acceptance letter and pages of all my tuitions fees which were already paid as proof. I fired questions to the principal about where he got the money and why I was chosen. If he answered something between the lines of sympathy and pity, there would be a different outcome. He answered that he hated to see students waste their abilities and talents; both intellectual students and high aspirers; they've polished and earned by their individual capabilities. "What was all that learning for?" he said.

I was half lectured and half answered. He said that it was from the school but I completely doubted that. I contemplated about that mistrusted answer while serving a customer with ham and cheese sandwich and cola.

I glanced at my watch, telling me it was time for a break. I ordered three choc' muffins and a canned orange soda for myself then went outside under an umbrella shaded table. Cars honked and drove away in the streets as mothers held their children's hand tightly across the pedestrian lane. Seeing little kids with their mothers makes me miss my own mother a lot.

"Those cupcakes are so big..."

I almost choked the orange soda that I was sipping. I scanned the area for the source of that tiny voice and found a child; no more than surpassing the age of seven years old.

Her raven eyes glanced towards me as if she found me interesting for a second then went back to analysing. She wore a primary school sailor uniform and carried a yellow backpack with a name tag tied into a zipper hole. It looked like she was one centimetre taller than the table, finding her mini stature cute. "Are you going to eat all of that?" she questioned, glancing over to me again.

I instantly assumed she was asking for one. "Want some?" I offered. Her curly brunette locks bounced messily due to her refusal motion.

"Daddy told me to reject food from strangers," she moralized honestly as I blinked at her. "Only stray dogs are given food,"

"Well, my mother said to never ever talk to strangers," I said almost emphasising the irony in my voice. With a push of a finger, I transferred a muffin into her small hands. "The café doesn't serve poison muffins. Take it," I smiled. Afterwards, the free seat across to me was occupied.