𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲. 𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲

never would i ever expect myself to be rummaging through my closet to find something to wear but here we are.

steve was taking me out which doesn't seem crazy in it self but in this case i was meeting his parents. i finally found an outfit that seemed modest enough without it looking like i borrowed something from my mother.

as i finished putting it on i heard a car horn honking letting me know steve was here. i brushed through my hair one last time before grabbing a bag and heading out.

steve was still honking as i walked up to the car making me playfully roll my eyes. I opened the car door and got in before he finally lifted his hand off the horn.

"you done harrington?" i say with a smile making him pretend to think about it.
"hmm. not quite" he says before leaning into kiss me.

after he pulled away he started driving over to his parents house.

・❥・

we arrived at the harrington household making me let out a sharp breath. i shake out my hands especially scared since steve has mentioned how strict they were.

steve turns to me and grabs my hands to stop the shaking making me turn towards him.
"val, im sure they'll love you. and even if they don't that's not going to change my mind" he says making me nod with a slight smile on my face.

i get out the of car with steve leading the way to the front door. as he knocks i wipe the palms of my hands on my dress and plaster a smile on my face.

the door opens with his mom smiling at him with open arms.
"there's my boy!" she says squeezing him tightly.
she lets go of him and then turns to address me.

"and you must be val" she says with no emotion behind her eyes making me even more nervous.
"yes i am, and it is lovely to finally meet you" i say as i extend my hand to her.

she looks down at my hand and then back up at me before walking away to the dining room.

i quickly put down my hand and walk inside brushing the same hand through my hair. steve then grabs my other hand as he shuts the door behind us and follows his mom into the dining room.

i sit down at the table awkwardly as his father won't even acknowledge my presence.
i look at steve as i shift around slightly in my seat. he smiles but it is definitely not reassuring me.

steve's mom comes out with kfc and places it on the table before sitting down.
"sorry for the fast food dear, i didn't feel up to cooking tonight" she says only looking at steve making me feel invisible.

"it's called finger-licking good for a reason!" i say with an awkward laugh that just gets me stared at making me just want to go home.
"on that note..." she drags out
"let's eat!" she says making the table start to dig in.

i didn't grab much since i didn't want to make either of them mad. steve looked at me and mouthed if everything was okay making me nod.

"so.. val. where do you work?" she asks, making me semi glad that she's initiating small talk
"oh uh the palace arcade near the family video store!" i say with a smile, immediately making hers turn to a frown.

"how... charming" she says sarcastically.
i play with my fingers under the table since this whole encounter is just plain awkward.
"what about education?" steve's dad asks making me slightly surprised that he actually spoke to me

"i am actually still in highschool, senior year but i do have plans of going to college here"
i say before eating some mashed potatoes.

"you're dating someone who's still in highschool?!" his dad shouts directly at steve making me want to slide deep down in my chair.

"dad she's pretty smart." steve defends making his dad scoff, look me up and down and then back at him before saying
"you can do better."

the next couple minutes were silent and were spent with me picking my fingernails and steve staring at his parents.
"i don't know what you see in her, you could have someone respectable like that girl robin you're always talking about" his mom says breaking the silence.

"she's in school too." steve says
"she has a lot going for her." his dad states as if i weren't even there.

steve then grabs my wrist standing the both of us up.
"thanks for dinner." he says before leading me out of the house.

as we both get into the car i start to reflect on what just happened, completely in shock.
steve starts the car to take me home as i rest my elbow on the door and put my chin in the palm of my hand.

・❥・

as we get home i start to take off my seatbelt before i feel a hand stop me making me look up at him.

"val. i know you're upset." steve says as i stay silent.
"i'm sorry for tonight. they've never acted like that" he says as i nod.

"are you okay?" he tilts his head slightly as he asks the question to which i respond 'yeah'.
he leans in and kisses me which makes me smile into the kiss.

as we pull away i remember the disaster of the dinner it was.
"wow i was such a dork" i say as me and steve both burst out laughing.

"it's finger-licking good!" he mimics trying to hide his smile as i playfully hit him.
i look at the time and see how late it is making my eyes widen at bit.

"i... will see you tomorrow" i say with a smug smile as i then kiss him once more and get out of the car.
"you should let me come in" he says with a smirk making me laugh.

"not tonight lover boy" i tease before walking away.
as i reach the door i can hear steve shout

"you drive me crazy!"
ೃ⁀➷

"𝙞 𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙗𝙚 𝙨𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙖 𝙜𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙡𝙚𝙢𝙖𝙣"・❥・

・❥・