fifteen

now playing

now playing..

"No Surprises"
-Radiohead

"A heart that's full up like a landfill
A job that slowly kills you
Bruises that won't heal
You look so tired, unhappy"

It happened so fast.

I almost couldn't even believe it, a pang completely shattering my heart in one glance. The deafening sounds of screaming children and parents, adults rushing to the stage.

I felt almost lightheaded, the sight of the lifeless child hanging from the closed mouth of the animatronic bear haunted me. Blood splattered along the bear, dripping onto the floor with chunks of brain matter.

The entire frontal lobe was detached from the rest of his body, tiny fingers twitching ever-so-slightly. His dark shirt drenched in his own bodily fluids.

    Tears prickled to my eyes as I held my hands over my mouth—though I couldn't find myself turning my head. It's like a car crash, you just can't look away.

     The feeling of arms wrapping around my torso—the sound of violent sobs accompanying it.

  "I-I didn't mean it." Michael cried. "Please, I didn't mean it." I placed an arm around the teen, his face shoved into my shoulder. "I'm so sorry, I didn't.. I didn't m.."

   I let my tears fall as I rubbed circles into his back, an ambulance accompanied with police cruisers pulling into the parking lot. Most guests had left the premises by now, the stench of blood starting to set in.

  "I want too far.. I'm.." a hiccup left his mouth. "Im so fucking sorry Joseph.."

    My eyes glanced up as the paramedics threw a tarp over the animatronic bear after letting the child's body onto the stretcher.

  William stood there, not a single emotion shown in his expression.

  But I know he's hurt.

  The death of his youngest child.

    His eyes locked onto mine as I held his eldest son in my arms, his sobs sounding into my shoulder—tears staining my uniform.

   I looked back—it's the only thing I could do.

'What has Bryan gotten me into.'