chapter twenty-nine ~ keefe's pov

"Welcome, Sophie!" Lady Gisela, a hint of a smile on her lips. "I see you've finally realized what happened to your friends."

Sophie shook her head at her and rolled her eyes in a fiery combination.

Keefe smirked from the shadows. That's my Foster.

"So," Lady Gisela continued, eyes directly on Sophie's, "You haven't paid any attention to the warning I gave you several weeks ago – I asked you to bring me my son."

Sophie sighed. "Did you really think I'd listen."

Lady Gisela grinned at her. "Well, now you will."

Sophie's hard expression faltered. Keefe could see that she was having trouble staying upright through her panic.

Foster? Keefe thought, hoping it would reach Sophie.

Sophie almost jumped a foot, looking around.

Keefe let out the breath he didn't realize he was holding.

Wait...what? You're...talking to me...I thought you said you'd stay away until all this was over...

You know I can't stay away forever, Keefe thought. Anyway, someone told me that my mom came to Havenfield.

Oh, Sophie thought. Right...

She turned to look at Lady Gisela, who seemed to realize something wasn't right.

"Who are you talking to, Sophie?" Keefe's mom asked her.

"No one!"

"Sure," Lady Gisela said apprehensively. "Now, I want you to concentrate as hard as you can, Sophie, and use your telepathy to speak to my son – that's if you're not speaking to him now."

Sophie gulped.

A fresh wave of anxiety rushed over Keefe, so he slunk further into the shadows. He'd only really seen Sophie, his mom's legion of supporters, his mom, and some of his restrained friends.

But now, as he looked closer, he could see others...Wynn and Luna bound tightly in thick ropes, seemingly lifeless, and an equally stiff Tam...but his skin had been mottled with dark shadows, that were still seeping across his skin.

Even his silver bangs were now streaked with black – but not even the color of Tam's hair. It was the darkest shade of black that Keefe had ever seen, and the anguish on Tam's face made the situation look even worse.

What was happening to him?

I'm just going to play along, Sophie transmitted to him. She scrunched up her face, pressing her fingers to her temples, and let a sigh escape her lips to enhance the performance.

Keefe used the extra time to glance around – he'd seen the old man from New York City when he returned.

In fact, the guy was the one who tipped him off.

And he knew that the man was familiar – but he didn't know how.

Maybe it was his voice.

Maybe it was his long white beard.

Or maybe it was the fact that he smelt like old feet.

But Keefe knew he could trust him, human or not.

Although, something didn't quite fit...the man knew who Lady Gisela was, and he knew what Havenfield was too – as well as having knowledge of the Neverseen.

He even knew Keefe's name – and Keefe had never told him what it was.

So maybe it would be wise for Keefe to look out for the guy...he may have seemed nice, and trustworthy...and Keefe might have felt like the guy was on his side...but something about him didn't feel right.