chapter thirty ~ impossible revelations

Alvar was dead.

And Keefe was the one to kill him.

Lady Gisela had to be lying.

How could that be true?

But, as if the "Stop," command that Lady Gisela had put on them was affecting Sophie's brain too, she couldn't find anything in her mind that could lead to the real truth.

Or maybe Lady Gisela's claim was the truth.

Sophie tried to speak, but her whole body was frozen – the most sound she could make was a tiny squeak.

Lady Gisela turned to her, grinning. "So. Have you figured out what my ability is?"

Sophie grunted.

"Oh, right. I forgot that you're under my command...well, I'd better unfreeze you – move!"

Sophie was tempted to run then, but she knew the consequences.

"The only mission I have for today is to take your friends, damage Tam's abilities...oh, and take my son with me as well. He's the answer to this world's problems."

Lady Gisela paused, before turning to her followers. "The humans of this planet are the problem. There are seven billion of them and counting – and if there's one way to eliminate them, it's through my incredibly powerful son. And perhaps fire."

"Why can't you just use your own powers?"

Lady Gisela snapped around to find the source of the voice.

Tam had spoken, but it sounded like it had been more of a struggle than it appeared.

"Oh, it's a simple answer," Lady Gisela smiled, waving her hand. Tam froze in his position.

How did Keefe's mom do that without saying anything?

Sophie had tried that before, but it never worked, no matter how hard she tried – and she was the moonlark!

"I have the same ability as you, Keefe. And Sophie. I can control people with my voice and emotions. But I'm not an Empath."

Sophie grit her teeth as she fought for dominance over control of her own body. But Lady Gisela was too strong...too strong...Sophie needed help but that was impossible...

She glanced over at Keefe, who was frozen in a standing position – but as his mother paced further away from him, Sophie could see he was trying to break free of his mother's command.

He was struggling just as much as Sophie was, but he was doing better at it.

Slowly, as if Sophie was watching a drawn-out video of flowers growing, Keefe limbs came free, and then his face twisted, and then his eyes roved to hers, and then he stretched his shoulders, all the while Lady Gisela was glaring at Sophie.

By the time Lady Gisela realized what had happened, Keefe had rushed off, back into the shadows.

Sophie cheered in her head.

And slowly, she could feel herself being freed too.

It was her face first.

Like she'd been incased in ice for a hundred years, she felt the icy feeling melt off her body, and she turned to look at the position where Keefe must have been standing – then quickly realized Lady Gisela was looking right at her, so she froze back into her old position.

Lady Gisela looked like she was trying to form words – but she didn't seem to be able to.

Instead of speaking, she started to stalk the area around the mansion, a scary grin on her stone-cold face. Before she turned away from Sophie, though, she spun around to face the group of Neverseen members guarding Sophie's friends.