chapter fifty-three ~ the wanderling

"We are gathered here today to commemorate the memory of Alvar Vacker," Councillor Aurora announced, her sad voice projecting across the hundreds of Wanderlings.

Alden, Della, Biana and Fitz were all standing below the platform the Councillors were atop. Della was silently sobbing already, Alden's head rested on her shoulder in quiet grief, Biana's eyes were red, and Fitz was just staring at the grass under his feet.

"I advise you all not to remember the bad sides to him," Aurora said. "Instead, hold on to what you knew of him, the real him, not the version of him who made too many mistakes. Don't think about the anger he made you feel, but instead focus on the times where his smiles were genuine, he took you by the hand, he brightened your day, or said a string of kind words to you. Honor his goodness."

Next to Sophie, Keefe stood, holding onto her hand tightly. On his other side was Linh, who was next to Tam, who couldn't stop looking at him.

"I invite you all to take a minute of silence, a minute of complete respect, for this lost one," Aurora said softly, "But whilst you are remembering, do not dwell on the bad memories."

One by one, the elves in the clearing bowed their heads, Keefe resting his head on Sophie's shoulder. There was an undeniable warmth to him, but beneath that lingered his sadness.

It wasn't your fault, Keefe, Sophie transmitted.

I know, Keefe whispered, but it wasn't convincing enough. She could hear his worries and guilty thoughts rushing through his mind, but his sorrow was the one that cleared the way.

The minute of silence finished. The elves lifted their heads, some of them crying, a group of girls gripping each others' hands in a tight circle.

Aurora stayed silent for a little longer, still mulling over Alvar's life in her head.

"In the end," she said, clearing her throat, "We all meet the same fate. We all take the same path. And sometimes our lives are misunderstood. But Alvar Vacker has always wanted the same thing, and that is love. On his path, he didn't seek power, or revenge, or harm. He only wanted to be treated the same as his siblings, shown the same amount of attention, given the same opportunities, and live a life just as happily as them. As his tree grows, watch that unfold."

Della stepped up, squeezing her husband's hand gently as she left. Tears glistened on her face as she procured a tiny jar, about the size of her thumb. Inside it was a seven-inch-long hair, dark as the soil.

Aurora took it from her carefully, brushing it with her fingers in wonder. She didn't look as sad as the rest of them; it was like all she was seeing was the good Alvar, like she'd said.

She beckoned for them to follow her, as she stepped off the back of the platform. The other eleven Councillors followed directly behind her, but everyone else spread out, most basking in the sunlight as they drifted towards the new space.

It was a relatively flat section of bluish-green grass, with small patches of daises sprinkled across. Aurora stood in the middle of the circle the daisies made. The Vackers joined her, and his time, the Council stood to the side.

Aurora offered each of them a gentle hand-squeeze, kindly looking them in the eyes as she nodded at them in turn. She came to Della last.

The vial came back into the sobbing elf's hands. They were shaking as Alden and Aurora put a hand on each of her shoulders. She pulled the cork out of the top of the jar, and dropped the hair, burying it into the middle patch, where moist dirt was clumped.

Sophie had never actually seen a Wanderling grow before, so she was intrigued.

The crowd held its breath as the soil in the middle parted. Sophie had never seen a Wanderling grow before, so she was intrigued.