chapter fifty ~ biana's pov

Biana drew back from the edge of the last window with a gasp.

Of course, she didn't mean to eavesdrop, but she'd been planning to return Keefe's notebook. She'd held it off for many months, keeping the book to double-check, each day, that the drawings of Sophie were there and it wasn't just her imagination.

But she had not expected to see Tam visit, nor see him actually admit the feelings he'd been hiding for over a year now. So...it was even more terrifying when they had a mature conversation about it...and then kissed.

Nope, she was definitely dreaming.

Five minutes later, Tam exited the house with a skip in his step. His shadows collected round his feet like constant smoky companions. Biana marveled at him.

She hastily disappeared when she noticed a presence behind her, or rather, behind the window. Keefe had a definite sparkle in his eyes.

Well, she'd have to return the notebook later, then...Biana ducked behind the house to recall the facts one more time.

Her head was spinning too fast.

Why had she decided to activate her extreme observation skills to eavesdrop on everything Keefe and Tam said to each other? She wasn't sure. Why did this make her silently cheer for Tam's well-being? She wasn't sure.

But mostly, she decided she needed to talk to someone about this.

Ever since their first kiss several months ago, Biana had really wanted to talk to Linh again, but she figured since Linh was almost always with either Marella or Wylie, she wouldn't disturb her.

Havenfield, however, was where she chose to go.

Blinking in and out of sight as she dashed to the house, Biana found Sophie's bedroom and knocked on her door. Sophie answered it, white faced.

The curtains were drawn tightly, and in the past hour or so her bedroom had turned into a mess.

"Hello," Sophie said absent-mindedly. Her voice sounded quite off. "What is it?"

"You look terrible," Biana said.

"Ugh...I know," Sophie sighed. "Fitz and I tried to connect our minds again but stuff keeps blocking it all! I think we've lost the old Cognate strength!"

"Oh dear," Biana said, thinking back to all the times Fitz had visitors. He had none. So why would their connection not work so well?

Sophie rubbed the skin on her face. Biana grabbed her hands to stop her, letting go to wrap her in a hug. "You want some Biana therapy? Makeover? Room makeover? Mallowmelt? Secret circle?"

She pulled back, taking Sophie's hands back.

Sophie shrugged. "Just no makeover."

"I'll start with your room, it's a mess," Biana thought aloud, beginning to collect random scraps of paper and clothes and empty bottles of Youth. "And don't touch your face!" she said, right as Sophie reached up again.

Packing things away was an easy task, but Sophie had left a bunch of other things in her flower carpet that Biana kept stepping on accidentally. It took a while before they could both move without stabbing their feet.

Finally, she opened the curtains, and opened the top windows just a smidge.

"I don't know how you do it," Sophie said in wonderment.

Biana prepared herself for the upcoming challenge. Her palms sweated. She took Keefe's golden notebook out of her tunic.

"Where did you get that?" Sophie asked her, propping her feet up on a pouffe. "I thought Keefe would never leave that lying around; he seemed pretty protective about it."