chapter forty-nine ~ keefe's pov

Keefe walked into his bedroom after he left Havenfield, breathing in the salty-sweet air of the shores lingering in his father's house. Ever since they finally made up, Keefe had found it a generally much nicer place to live in.

He reached out to open the door to his bedroom once he was inside, but it was already open. He squeezed his eyes shut as he opened it the rest of the way, preparing for a stink-bomb prank.

Ten seconds passed, and nothing happened, so he opened his eyes and flinched back when he realized another elf was sitting on his bed.

Tam Song.

Keefe sighed. "Tam? What are you doing here?"

Tam grimaced a little, looking away uncomfortably. "I need to talk to you."

Keefe gave him a calculating look. "Is it an emergency? Or a personal problem? Because if it's an emergency, that's fine, l mean, it's not fine...but you know what I mean, I don't mind...but if it's a personal problem then I don't know how to talk about that so..."

Talking was becoming difficult. He was mostly confused as to why Tam had broken into his bedroom, of all places, to talk to him, but mostly he just wanted this over and done with. Maybe if he just let Tam talk he could pretend he was listening and calm his panic.

"Um..." Tam mumbled, fiddling with one of his cuffs. "It's not a problem. Just something I have to tell you."

"Look, Bangs Boy, I pretty much forgive you, but if you've laid a trap in here and I never knew, this will become a war," Keefe said seriously. He took a few calming breaths to enhance the irony.

"Do you want to sit down...or something?" Tam winced. "I haven't laid any pranks, in case you were wondering." His eyes darted from Keefe's face to his shoes a few times.

Reluctantly, Keefe took the chair next to his bed, keeping his eyes firmly on the window. "What's up?"

The two sat in silence until Tam could figure out what to say.

"Look," he started, as he squeezed his hands together tightly. "I know we've had our feuds, and I know I'm super annoying, and I know I've made plenty of mistakes, and I know I put that shadow thing on you, and I know I went all the way to New York City to find you, but I promise I don't hate you anymore. Even if I've been like a little shadow that follows you around a lot lately."

Keefe didn't notice how tight his own chest felt. "I know you don't hate me anymore."

Tam's face was growing red. "Okay, so, um..."

"If it helps, I don't really hate you either...but I'm still calling you Bangs Boy," Keefe said, in the most wistful of voices. Tam cringed.

He continued to fiddle with his tunic sleeves awkwardly.

"So you came here to tell me you don't hate me?" Keefe asked him. "That's all well and good, but I think it was already established."

Tam shook his head. "I just wanted to tell you...you're honestly a really great guy and I like you a lot and I think you're a very good person—and I know that you always doubt yourself and think you're useless...but you're not."

Keefe blinked. That was something he'd never imagined Tam would ever say.

Tam grimaced.

"Um...thanks," Keefe said in an odd voice. "You know, I think ever since you left the Neverseen, you sorta became less bitter person. Maybe my zen ways are rubbing off on you."

"Or maybe you're just a significant person!" Tam said, immediately blushing again. "Ugh...Keefe, I haven't changed...I guess what I'm meaning to say, is that because you forgave me for every bad thing I did, you are making my life a whole lot easier. And more tolerable."