2 - Rockets, Communists, and The Dewey Decimal System

Mary and George were standing in the doorway of the canteen and were looking at 2 tables, one where there was Georgie and all of his friends and one where Sheldon was sitting alone.

Ma: Look at him. Breaks my heart.

G: Poor little guy. All alone

Ma: I don't see why his brother or Y/N can't sit with him.

G: Come on Mary. When you were in high school would you have lunch with a nine-year-old?

Ma: Yes. I would've.

G: Well, there's something wrong with you.

M: I'm gonna keep him company.

G: hey, hey, hey, Mary. Mary. Think this through. Right now the kids are just ignoring Sheldon. What happens if he's sitting with his mommy?

M: They could mistake me for a senior. Well, I look younger than you

G: Just give this time, all right? It'll work itself out.

M: (Sighs)

OS: My mother never understood that I actually enjoyed being alone. Solitude allowed me to think about important things, like the effect of gravitational forces as you approach an event horizon, as opposed to less important things,  like how many grapes my brother can fit in his mouth.

Ge: (muffled) 14!

GeFs: Yeah.  (laughter)

OS: Jean-Paul Sartre said, "hell is other people."  (laughs) That's humorous because it's true.

===========================================================================                                                                        Time Skip to after school                                                                   ===========================================================================

Mary was in the kitchen making dinner. Missy was at the table doing homework.

Mi: (sighs)

Ma: Something wrong?

Mi: How come maths is easy for Sheldon and hard for me?

Ma: I don't know, hone, but you have your own gifts.

Mi: Like what?

Ma: Well, like... (thinks) you have very pretty hair.

Mi: True

Georgie then walks through the door with Y/N.

Ma: Georgie. Y/N. Would you both do me a tiny favour?

Ge: Like what?

Ma: Tomorrow at lunch would you mind sitting with Sheldon?

Mi: Don't do it, Georgie, Y/N.

Ma: You stay out of this.

Mi: I ate with him in second grade. It really hurt my social life.

Ma: (Sighs)

Ge: Sorry, mum. Can't do it. 

Y/N: Sorry Mary. I'm busy tomorrow lunch.

Georgie and Y/N walk away to Georgie's room.

Ma: Why are you such a brat.

Mi: Maybe I'm crying for attention.

Ma: This isn't a joke, Young lady. Yes, your brother may be smart, but he doesn't have a friend in the world. And I am sorry, but I am very worried about him.