Chapter Sixteen.

"Duck!" A strangled voice cried out, in an instant Barry's body lunged towards the concrete, groaning due to the crash landing. The harsh cackle of gunfire passing over where he'd previously been standing.

A sigh of relief fell from the physicians lips, "That was too close, are they still tailing you?"

Without having to answer, the comm connecting both Cisco and Caitlin to the fastest    man alive began to thrash. The sudden sound of wind clouding Barry's voice, hiding anything he even attempted to communicate. In the event of the short circuit that shot throughout S.T.A.R Labs, almost all of their latest equipment had fizzled out without so much as a spark. Something that left their technicians baffled and momentarily forced to use the comms from their earlier years.

It wasn't like dealing with human criminals was a large part of their job in protecting Central City, when with cases like these - where multiple murders had occurred. They didn't wait around very long for the police to finally figure out how the hell to catch the guy. Whether or not Barry will be held accountable for interfering in an ongoing investigation, they'd already lost two lives to this guy. Why wait around for him to claim his third victim?

As the hero halted to a stop, a heavy breath leaving his mouth as his eyes surveyed his surroundings. It was almost impossible for him to lose track of someone, especially a mere human and yet, glancing around he came up empty handed.

"Where the hell is he?"

"Right behind you, Red." The voice echoed off of the alleyway walls, the eery silence following after leaving fear hanging over the dark haired males head. Even with his speed, it appeared that nothing prepared him for a man who clearly wasn't there.

"What the—"

The brutal force of a punch cut Barry's sentence in two, the adrenaline from the hit forcing the speedster to dart towards the other side of the alley. Whoever they'd been chasing most certainly wasn't just human.

"Guys, I think this guys invisible...there's no way he would've got that hit in otherwise." Barry says as he kept his eyes peeled, anxious of the strangers next step. Without their thermal vision from the lab Barry knew his friends were unable to help. Locating this guy was down to him, "Come on, asshole. Too afraid to fight."

"I didn't think I was very much worthy of holding your attention, Flash. I see no reason for me to show myself, imagine the things I could do without you so much as catching a glance," The hoarse voice retorted with a sense of amusement laced beneath, it was all so obviously a game. But none of which amused the speedster, his irritation growing with every passing second.

A clatter as garbage cans were kicked aside thundering down the small space, the metal scraping along the floor like nails to a chalkboard. Before even a second could pass by, Barry was flailing his arms amongst the space he'd assumed had been Terrence. If anyone could see him know, he knew he looked ridiculous. The embarrassment settling in only fuelled his need to capture the man willing to humiliate him.

"Enough of the games, Cornwell. What's your aim? You killed that poor couple and for what? My attention? You're pathetic." Barry scoffed, kicking up the dirt beneath his feet. The slight action reminding him nothing can remain hidden if there's something allowing it to be seen. A grin stretched across his thin lips, "All this chasing, yet you someone manage to stay one step ahead."

"I was a monster long before I got these powers," Terrence responded, venom seeping through his words, "They weren't my first victims and I don't expect they'll be my last. But worry not, I have no plan to skin you as I did them, for you, my dearest speedster, I'll grant you a quick death."

"Oh, god." Caitlin's distraught voice through the comm sent an ache to Barry's heart. Without a second thought, and a click to his ear, his microphone was muted. There was no need for his friends to hear the atrocities the monster before him had committed.