𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊. a word of advice

HAWKINS, INDIANA — 1983

THERESA COULD FEEL HER HEART drop to her toes.

She stood up slowly, turning to face Hopper. Tess plastered a smile on her face, kicking the drawer closed beside her.

"Hi Chief," she greeted, folding her arms behind her.

Hopper sighed. "Go to my office."

Theresa complied, keeping a smile on her face and trying to maintain innocence as if he had not just caught her redhanded for a second time in three days.

She walked inside Hopper's office and he followed, slamming the door shut behind him. Tess flinched a little, taking a seat. Her hands were sweating uncontrollably.

"What are you doing here, Theresa? You do realize that snooping through confidential police evidence is a crime, right?"

Tess raised a finger. "Well, yes, but–"

"What do you want?" he cut her off.

She huffed, shifting in her seat. Theresa cleared her throat and tried to gain her composure.

"I'm sorry, Chief. I just– I'm really worried about Priya because I haven't heard anything about her in days. Is there– is there anything you can tell me? Please?"

Theresa batted her eyes a little, leaning forward in her chair. She made a damn good puppy dog face when there was something she wanted.

Jim was not so willing to budge. His expression did not waver, fighting the urge to roll his eyes.

"There's not much I can tell you, Theresa. We haven't found anymore evidence nor have we gotten any leads in the case. Priya's parents say she was a nice girl, didn't seem like the type to run off. That true?"

Tess nodded without hesitation. "She was the best one out of all of us," she replied lightheartedly, biting her nail.

Hopper sighed, sitting up. "I have another question, now that you're here."

She looked up, beginning to grow nervous. The way he stared at her was intimidating, which was not easily done when it came to Theresa.

"Sure," she stammered.

He picked up a pen lazily. "There's something about the night she went missing that hasn't exactly been adding up. According to two different stories, one says she went to the memorial for Will Byers and the other says she went to a party."