𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒗. i'm in charge

HAWKINS, INDIANA — 1984

"WHAT IS THAT MULLET-HAIRED FREAK doing here?"

Theresa looked out of the window, shaking her head. She stepped back, throwing up a hand. "I swear to God, I can't have a moment's peace," she mumbled.

Max stood behind Lucas. "He can't know I'm here. He's gonna kill me."

With a scoff, Tess turned to Max. "Not if I can help it."

She looked to Steve, chewing her inner lip.

"Go out there and talk to him. You can take him, right?"

Steve wanted to seem confident, but he quite honestly had no idea. He knew Billy could fight, and Steve was unsure how well he would do against him.

"Yeah," Steve nodded. "I'll be right back."

Theresa nodded back, placing her arm on Max's back reassuringly while Steve opened the front door and walked outside. The kids all began to creep toward the window, trying to see what was going on.

"Get back here!" Tess hissed, rushing over to them and pushing them off of the couch. "Are you guys crazy?"

They all grumbled and rolled their eyes, Theresa looking out of the window herself this time. She could see Billy and Steve talking, a cigarette hanging loosely from Billy's mouth. Tess narrowed her eyes, unable to figure out what was going on.

Then, out of nowhere, Billy gave Steve a hard shove and sent him tumbling to the ground. He kicked him, hard, and started toward the front door.

"Oh shit," Theresa ran toward the door to try and lock it but it was too late, Billy bursting in.

He looked around at everyone in the room, that familiar eerie smile forming on his face.

"Well well well... two Sinclairs in the same room as my sister." Billy turned to Tess. "I thought I told you to keep that little shitbird away from her."

Tess tilted her head down. "Aw, someone's still hurt that I rejected them," she curtly smiled, Billy's own smile fading away.

He scoffed. "You think I really wanted you, Sinclair? You think I want anything to do with your kind?"

Billy started toward her, reaching out and grabbing Theresa by the throat, slamming her against the wall. Her eyes widened with fear, clawing at his hands squeezing her windpipe.

"Let me tell you again, Theresa," Billy spat in her ear. "You are nothing. You're worthless, you hear me? Not shit."

He let her go, Tess sliding down the wall and gasping for air. She had begun to see black in her vision, taking a moment to catch her breath. While she was down, Billy turned on Lucas. He stepped closer to him and Max, staring down at her.