𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒊. i hate walking

HAWKINS, INDIANA — 1985

     IT WAS NINE O'CLOCK, AND THE MALL was closed for the night.

Theresa returned from the library with a stack of books, eyeing Erica as she stood in the back of Scoops Ahoy wearing a bicycle helmet with two flashlights attached.

"Alright, are you sure that you know where to go?" Tess questioned, Erica giving her a look.

"Oh please. I'm not stupid."

Theresa closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She handed Erica her backpack, chewing her inner lip anxiously. Tess was still unsure about this. She did not want endanger her little sister by involving her with a bunch of Russians.

"Be careful."

Erica pursed her lips. "Aren't I always?"

Theresa gave another sigh, turning to Steve, Dustin and Robin. She followed them out of Scoops Ahoy, the four of them heading to the roof. They were going to keep a lookout while Erica traveled through the vents to open the door hiding God knows what behind it.

"You're quiet," Steve muttered to Theresa as he squatted beside her, elbowing her softly.

Tess clenched the walkie-talkie tighter in her hand, keeping her eyes trained toward the large metal door.

"I just... kinda have a bad feeling."

Steve was about to reply when Erica's voice came over the walkie-talkie.

"You nerds in position or what?"

"Yes," Tess replied. "We don't see anything, so you've got the green light."

"Green light, roger that. Commence Operation Child Endangerment."

Theresa halfway rolled her eyes. "It's not child endangerment."

"How do you know?"

"Because I said so," Tess quickly shot back, pursing her lips.

Erica paused. "Whatever. See you on the other side. Nerds."

They sat around for a few minutes, waiting on Erica to give a response. Tess was growing more and more nervous by the second, tapping her fingers anxiously on the ledge.

"Alright, nerds," Erica's voice picked back up. "I'm there."

Theresa let out a relieved sigh, responding, "What do you see?"