𝒙𝒍𝒗𝒊𝒙. kinda wanna punch you

HAWKINS, INDIANA — 1986

"DO YOU SEE ANYTHING?"

Theresa shook her head as she shone the flashlight into the pitch black water, but then suddenly the compass needle began spinning out of control.

"Stop!"

Robin and Eddie did so, bringing the paddles up while the compass continued whirring furiously.

"Guys, what's going on?" Dustin came over the radio, Nancy grabbing it.

"The compass," she replied, "it's going out of control now."

Tess looked up, noticing Steve taking off his shoes and socks. She raised an eyebrow.

"What are you doing?"

"Somebody's gotta go down there and check this thing out," he absentmindedly responded. "Unless one of you four can top being a Hawkins High swim co-captain and a certified lifeguard for three years, then... it's gotta be me. No complaints, alright?"

He looked specifically at Theresa as he said that last part, receiving a slight glare in return.

"Steve–"

"No complaints," he interrupted, giving her a stern look as he up. "I let you be stubborn all the time, it's my turn now."

Steve looked down into the water for a moment, Tess pursing her lips with irritation. She crossed her arms sourly, glancing away.

"Hey," Eddie spoke, "I'm not complaining. I do not wanna go down there."

He reached in his jacket pocket and revealed a plastic bag, emptying its contents on the boat floor.

Theresa rolled her eyes, looking up at Steve as he pulled his shirt off. She fought the urge to roll her eyes once again.

With the plastic bag, Eddie wrapped the flashlight in it. Tess slightly raised her eyebrows, finding that surprisingly smart of him.

"Hey," Eddie held up the flashlight to Steve, who took it. "Good luck."

With that Eddie gave a nod and stuck a cigarette between his lips, striking his lighter when Theresa reached over and snatched it from his mouth.

"No smoking."

She flicked it on the ground while Eddie blinked with confusion, then turned and looked up at Steve.