𝒙𝒊𝒗. pick me up at five

HAWKINS, INDIANA — 1984

     "THERESA?"

Ms. Kelly grabbed Theresa's attention, snapping her back to reality. Tess rubbed her eye, forcing a smile.

"Sorry. I just– didn't sleep well last night."

Ms. Kelly, the guidance counselor, nodded understandingly. Theresa had been seeing her every other week for the past few months, since Priya's disappearance. She was not really sure if these sessions were helping, but she was genuinely trying. For Ms. Kelly's sake, and her own.

"I see," Ms. Kelly grabbed her pen and began writing something down. "Still having nightmares?"

Tess chewed her inner lip, giving a small shrug. "Not too bad. I mean– everyone has nightmares, right?"

"Well, yes, but not everyone has trauma like you."

Ms. Kelly studied Theresa for a moment, who licked her lips and inhaled deeply. This was not how she had been wanting to spend her study hall.

"Tell me about life," Ms. Kelly continued. "What's been going on lately? Any good news? Any bad? I saw that you got accepted into Notre Dame, that's amazing."

Tess began to smile, nodding. "Yeah, yeah. It is. I've just been... focused on school," she shrugged, meeting Ms. Kelly's eyes. "That's basically it."

Ms. Kelly clasped her hands together, placing them in front of her. "Any new... relationships? A boyfriend, maybe?"

She laughed softly, glancing down. "Uh– no, not really. I'm not very... interested in most of the guys around here."

That was partially true. Theresa had not been with a boy since Steve.

Ms. Kelly chuckled as well. "Well that's understandable. But hey, I know any boy here would jump at the chance to be with you. And besides, sometimes a little distraction can be a good thing."

Theresa laughed once more, twisting her fingers. She glanced up at the clock on the wall, shifting in her seat. Ms. Kelly could tell she was ready to go, so she closed her notebook and stood up.

"Well, Theresa, I really feel like you're improving. I'm very proud of how much progress you've made."

Tess stood as well, grabbing her cardigan from the back of the chair and pulling it back on.

"Thank you, Ms. Kelly. I really appreciate all of your help."

Ms. Kelly nodded with another smile, opening the door for her.