𝒍𝒊. st. mary avenue

HAWKINS, INDIANA — 1986

     "DOES ANYONE KNOW MORSE CODE?"

Eddie's question was answered as Steve, Robin and Nancy all turned their heads to Theresa, who slightly raised her eyebrows.

"Oh, yeah. I do."

"Of course you do," Eddie murmured.

She pushed her hair over her shoulder, raising her hand to the chandelier once more. Tess hesitated, then began using Morse code signals by the particles of light. It felt kind of stupid, but she had hope that it would work. Someone was bound to notice, especially Dustin.

"...are you even listening?" Dustin's voice echoed, to which another replied, "I'm listening. It's just..."

It was Erica's voice. Theresa rocked on her heels with some excitement, continuing to send her message while Erica's voice grew louder.

"You said Vecna communicates through lights, right?"

Dustin slowly replied, "Yeah, why?"

"Because I think he's here," Erica continued, Tess dropping her head with a grimace.

"Goddammit, don't they understand Morse code?" she muttered, the other four simply sitting back and watching her.

Tess, however, persisted and continued to send letter after letter, a short message that was simply, 'H-E-L-P.'

The voices above had gone silent, to which the group only hoped meant they were trying to figure out the message.

"Hey, uh... remember when I said they wouldn't be stupid enough to go through Watergate?" Dustin asked, Theresa fighting the urge to roll her eyes.

A voice, Lucas's voice, replied, "Yeah."

"I overestimated them," Dustin continued.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

     THE GROUP OF FIVE DASHED UPSTAIRS to Nancy's bedroom, following the sounds of voices in the real world.

Lucas and Dustin had swiped Holly's Lite-Brite, which they were currently sitting and waiting with baited breath to see if it would light up.

"Come on, come on," Steve mumbled under his breath, placing a hand on Theresa's shoulder from behind her.

Faintly, they heard Dustin say something. The particles spread over Nancy's bed, buzzing with electricity once again as Nancy waved a hand through it.