Chapter 8

Confusion and Heartfelt Chaos

"Hey Zhan... do you remember me?" The girl's voice was soft, almost tentative, as she spoke to him.

Zhan stood there, seemingly frozen in time, his heart hammering in his chest so fiercely it felt like it might leap out. He struggled to find the right words, his throat dry as he grappled with a flood of emotions that rushed through his mind and heart, drowning out any coherent thought.

"Zhan?" Her voice broke through his reverie once more.

With a gulp, Zhan managed to compose himself, though his face remained as cold as ice as he replied, "Hey... of course I remember you, Meng Ziyi."

A sad smile tugged at Ziyi's lips, reminiscent of the one she wore years ago when Zhan was hopelessly in love with her.

"Let's go talk somewhere else. I'd rather not have my friends see us together," Zhan said abruptly, before turning and walking away, leaving Ziyi trailing behind him.

As she followed him, a mix of guilt and wistfulness played across Ziyi's face. He's changed so much since the last time I saw him, she thought to herself.

__

"Can you believe Zhan just up and left without waiting for us?" Jiyang lamented, a hint of frustration in his voice.

"I know! it's so unlike him," Hao Xuan agreed with a frien visible on his face.

"Let's not jump to conclusions. He might have had something urgent come up and simply couldn't let us know," Jiang Cheng said, trying to calm his friends, though a twinge of disappointment lingered in his tone. Zhan had always been considerate about informing them before leaving. This departure was uncharacteristic.

Yibo nodded in understanding, though he hadn't dwelled on it much, a subtle sense of unease had settled in. It was as if a small fear had crept into his heart, suggesting that something might not be quite right. Despite this, he joined his friends as they headed to Hao Xuan's place to tackle their assignments.

__

Zhan sat in silence, his voice cold as he sipped his drink. "So, why did you suddenly decide to show up, Ziyi?"

Ziyi hesitated, unable to meet his gaze. "I know you probably don't want to see me anymore, and you don't even want to talk to me. But I think it's time I realize my mistake and apologize to you, Zhan."

"I'm going to be really honest with you right now," she continued, her voice filled with remorse. "I never once regretted being with you, Zhan. All those things we did together, all those times we spent on each other... they are precious memories to me. But I was not thinking straight. At that time, my career seemed more important to me than my partner who was always there for me, supporting me in every way. Things ended up messy, and we split up. I realized I was being selfish. I left you just like that and went away to fulfill my dream."

Tears welled up in Ziyi's eyes as she spoke, her voice trembling. "I'm sorry. I should've thought about you. And I'll understand if you won't forgive me, but I hope you could give me some time to make it up to you a little."

Zhan listened quietly, his emotions a turbulent mix. Just when he had finally overcome the heartbreak and everything was starting to feel normal again, she appeared, reopening old wounds.

"Okay, don't think I'll forgive you so easily after what you did to me," Zhan finally responded, his tone guarded. "And how do you want to make it up to me?"

Ziyi's expression softened, her eyes pleading. "I'm back here for one week, then I'll go away for my business. I'd like to hang out with you and spend some time before leaving."

There was a heaviness in the air as Zhan considered her request. He had a soft spot for Ziyi, remembering her as the bright, sunshine girl everyone loved to be around. She was sweet and caring, her infectious smile warming even the coldest of hearts. But now, he saw a girl trying to overcome her past mistakes, someone who wanted to be a better version of herself. He could sense her genuine desire to make amends and find closure before moving forward.

"Okay, if that's what you want, and I could give you that," Zhan sighed, reaching out to hold her hand in a gesture of comfort as she teared up, thanking him.

"Let's hang out tomorrow, Zhan. And thank you for giving me a chance. Have a good night," Ziyi said softly before hugging him. Zhan's heart filled with a mix of guilt and empathy as he returned the hug briefly before pulling away.

Unbeknownst to them, from a distance of the café, a young man watched them from the window. His heart clenched at the sight, unable to contain his emotions. Without a backward glance, he ran away, consumed by his feelings.

🌻~🕊~🌻~🕊~🌻~🕊~🌻~🕊~

Hope y'all like the chapter. Tysm for reading!! Comment down your thoughts and don't forget to vote.

Love y'all 💜