2 - the legacy thing, part one

^^^^^^

^^^^^^

" TAE WAS RAISED BY DEWEY FUCKING RILEY. "

alexa, play SPACE SONG by beach house

^^^^^^

"Tatum, you know why you're here." Sheriff Judy Hicks paced in front of me inside of Woodsboro High School's principal's office.

I was being interrogated about the attack on Tara Carpenter last night, as was everybody else in the entire school. It was not only protocol, but Miss Hicks and I knew better than anybody that the killer-possible plural-are always associated in a friend group with the first victim. Tara was in the hospital, our latest update was that she'd been taken off of life support. It was a Ghostface attack. The first one since 2011, when Mom still lived with Dad and I in Woodsboro. When Mom and Dad were still together-when things were still good.

Now it was getting worse again.

"No, I didn't attack Tara Carpenter. Yes, I have an alibi. No, I don't know why anybody would attack Tara, and no, I don't know who might've been around the attack." My voice was the most monotone it had ever been. "Sadie from the grocery store and my neighbor Gabby can both confirm where I was. Later on in the night, even you can. Can I go now?"

"Listen," her words were soft; she pulled a chair in front of me and sat down. "I know you didn't do this. I know that, don't worry, okay, sweetie? But I need your help."

"No, Sheriff, I'm sorry-" I already knew what was coming, so I swung my backpack over my shoulder, stood up, and started to walk out.

But with the gentlest arm grab of the century, Sheriff Hicks spun me back around, and we locked eye contact. We even maintained eye contact, which made me feel bad for even getting up and trying to walk away in the first place. I could see the fear in her eyes-the panic, the worry, the concern. She didn't know what to do.

"Please, Tatum. Your father is the only person who can help me solve this. I'm not experienced like he is, and I know I should be with what happened back in two-thousand-and-eleven, but I'm not. I need his help. I-I won't force it on you, but...will you talk to him? For me?"

"He's been stabbed nine times, and let me remind you who I'm named after, alright?" I was close to committing murder myself, but I pushed those thoughts deep down. "But sure, I'll talk to him about it."

"Thank you, Tatum, really."

I love Judy with my whole heart, but does she have to say my full name every single time? It feels weird to me.