Chapter Thirty Three - Forever Mrs. Petrikov

Hello!

First chapter for today, enjoy.

Good reading!
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hunson had drawn many scenarios about the course of Marceline's life during those years. In none of them was she adopted by a powerful woman like Megan, or crossed paths with him on her way to becoming a pop rock star.

So when he walked right behind her into a restaurant he would never have been able to afford a few years ago, he had no idea what to expect. And he was positively surprised.

"Hey James! How's things going?", the waiter had just arrived at the table to serve them. He looked pleased to see the girl. Hunson was a little startled by the intimacy with which she treated the young man.

"Good afternoon, Miss Abadeer. I'm doing very well, thank you. How are you?"

"Trying to keep up with the sequence of craziness that is my life," she said, looking quickly at the man in front of her before continuing. She was still trying to process the last forty-eight hours. "Do you really need all that cordiality? I already told you you can call me Marcy."

"Well, as much as I appreciate your kindness, I need to follow the establishment's treatment code. But I swear I won't keep to that when we run into each other."

"Okay, okay. I don't want to get you in trouble at work, man. May I ask how your mom is?"

"It's much better, thanks," he said, his eyes getting a little brighter, almost teary. "Please tell your mother that we are extremely grateful."

"I already told you that you don't need to thank so much, James," she replied, laughing a little. "But yes, I'll let her know. Well, can you bring me the usual, please?"

"Sure, no problem," he said, writing a request that he seemed to know by heart. "And for you?"

"Whatever she asks is fine with me too, thanks," Hunson replied, still trying to follow the interaction between the two.

"Great choice, sir. Marceline has good taste in pasta," he said, relaxed. "Well, I'll be back soon with your orders. And a bottle of wine, on the house" - he laughed a little at his own speech before continuing.  "Well, actually your mother called a few minutes ago and said I should pour a bottle for whoever was with you. But I didn't say that."

"Typical," she said, with a roll of her eyes and a smile. "Thanks, James."

The boy gave a curt nod before leaving. The two who remained looked at each other for a few moments, not quite sure what kind of behavior they should have with each other.

"Well, I have to say that I didn't expect such a close relationship between you and one of the waiters. After all... Well, I mean...", he started, but soon realized that maybe he had said the wrong thing.

"After all, I'm filthy rich," Marceline said, an eyebrow raised. Hunson stared at her wide-eyed for a moment, and she couldn't help but burst out laughing. "Okay, sorry. I'm being cruel for no reason again," she took a deep breath and got a little more serious before continuing. "Look, I know that, under the circumstances, you're expecting me to be a spoiled asshole. And as much as I can be an asshole when it suits me, I'm not a spoiled elitist, or at least I try not to be. I'm not the type of girl who treats attendants, waiters, or any worker who attends me just because my mom has money. I have a sense of where I came from and why I was in orphanages for a few years."

"Well, I'm glad for that. Not for the orphanage part. But for the character you created," replied the man, still walking on eggshells a little. But that detail made him a little proud, yes. He was silent for a moment before asking, "What did the boy mean when he thanked his...mother?"