Ch. 26 | Bouquet Toss

Summary: Lila's wedding has Spencer thinking a lot about his future.

A/N: Welcome back everyone! Thank you everyone for your comments and patience between chapters. I promise I'm still chugging away at this fic. I hope you enjoy this new chapter. Only about four more to go!

Content Warning: Weddings, discussions about pregnancy/children, fingering, penetrative sex, unprotected sex, mild breeding kink, nightmares, gun violence, death allusions, Greek Mythology references (Hades/Persephone)

—————————————————

The next morning, I woke to a new world. With eyes tightly shut, I clung to the warm body beside me and refused to open my eyes. I was too afraid; terrified that I would open my eyes and find nothing but the remnants of a miracle I'd let slip through my fingers.

I could hardly believe it had happened. But it had happened. My Bunny told me that she loved me, and the universe allowed me to live another day. Against all odds, the sun had risen, and I eventually opened my eyes to find the dawn of something new. Something better and greater than myself.

The desert palette reflected throughout the clouds with a peach tinted hue blanketing the city of sin. My boyhood home, the place that made me, stared back with wide-eyed amazement at the fact we were all still standing despite the absurdity of it all.

Each flower in the city stood at attention to marvel at the creature at rest in my arms. When she woke, with fluttering eyelids and restless limbs stretching and winding their way around me, I shivered from the warmth of her voice that was still rough with sleep.

"G'morning, Professor," she said as she welcomed the world.

"Good morning, Bunny."

A small smile started to tug at her lips that was broken by a yawn, which then turned into a happy little giggle. The sound echoed in harmony with the rustling bed sheets and quickening breath. Her eyes came to life as the memories came crashing back to her the longer that she stared at my own smile.

It felt so permanent, so tangible, so real.

Pure. Pure as the nebulae with their centuries of condensed memories brought together to sustain a new universe. She was a whole nursery of stars, and I was just one man; an Icarus who tempted fate with wax wings.

She knew this, but nonetheless, she whispered, "Good morning. I love you."

"I love you more," I dared, but she was quick and firm in her reply. 

"I love you the most."

Seconds after the words parted from perfect pouted lips, she came closer. In an attempt to silence me before I could prove her wrong, she kissed me with a dastardly softness. So wicked was her tongue when it found something sweet in even the sleepiest moments. So cruel were her hands as they brushed through curls bothered by sleep.

There was nothing about her that was bothered. Not even when I broke apart from her, because she knew it would only be long enough for me to issue my disagreement.

"Oh yeah? The most?"

"Yeah," she answered before continuing to kiss me with a vengeance to exact. But the moment she'd started to find her place settled against me, I was ruining it again. 

"You know I'm a genius, right?" I asked.

She did not take kindly to the challenge. With her lips still stuck in a pout, she froze. She waited there, opening her eyes and furrowing her brow before she slowly backed away from me.