maggiealex

"hey...do i know you?"
the honey blonde hair hit the light perfectly as the shorter woman turned around.
"erm..." her eyebrow raised slightly as she looked at the slightly taller, brunette, confusedly.
"i'm maggie...remember me?"
"oh! yes maggie, from lauras 4th of july party of course"
maggie nodded, smiling almost with relief that the younger woman recognised her.
"i-i didn't know you lived in newyork" the blonde angelic woman smiled back.
"not full time" maggie watched her nod slowly before adding "yet"
she felt gratification as the younger woman's eyes seemed to light up.
"what about you alex? how's work in newyork treating you?"
alex inhaled deeply and slowly as she thought over her answer, nodding slowly.
"that good huh?"
"no! no really i like it, it's very...competitive" maggie could see clearly that alex didn't enjoy the competitiveness of journalism.
"well you're in the wrong business then honey" she drawled quietly.
alex stared deeply into the older woman's eyes for perhaps a second too long, her mind echoing the way maggie said honey
"alexandra!" alex jumped startled as she heard her name shouted out.
"oh!" she turned and moved a few paces forward, taking her warm cup of strong coffee.
"well i better get back to the office, it was really nice seeing you again" alex smiled almost sadly as she realised this unexpected conversation was coming to a close.
"yes...hey what would you say to catching up properly some time? over a good meal?" maggie asked impulsively but surprisingly not regretfully.
"oh, yeah um i would love that" alex smiled, her blue eyes somehow getting even brighter.
"you have my number still?" the blonde asked.
"probably, if not i'll find it" maggie smiled with a very subtle wink. so subtle alex was left trying to work out if she imagined it.

she left the coffee shop, entering the bustling street of manhattan, she walked all the way back to her office pretty much forgetting about the warm reviving drink she had been craving all morning.
but now, no thoughts we're passing through her mind except the way maggie had called her honey, the way maggie had winked...if that's what it was.
alex found herself no longer needing the extra energy boost from the caffeine, maggie was her new adrenaline.