EPISODE 9 : BEST FRIEND

Opens at Mahoa docks. Felden army gearing up and preparing to sail. Lucan sits on the pier looking out at a ship in the harbor. He swings his legs over the edge.

Niika : I wish you wouldn't sit so close to the edge.

Lucan slides back a bit onto the pier.

Lucan : Is that better?

Niika sits down beside Lucan.

Niika : Much better.

They sit together for a moment, both too shy to start conversation.

Niika : You never told me you've been to prison.

Lucan : Yeah... it's not something I share often.

Niika : What'd you do?

Lucan : Ehh it was... I mean it wasn't really anything-

Niika : Did you kill someone?

Lucan : What? No! I just have a tendency to... get into trouble. I'm not like Kiyoshi, who knew exactly what he wanted to be all his life. I just can't see myself working a normal job... the same routine every single day. I'm probably not making any sense...

Niika is a bit surprised that they can relate again.

Niika : No, I know what you mean. Even before I hunted the Necromancers... I never really fit in with society. I think... I was-

Kiyoshi's voice interrupts.

Kiyoshi : Hurry it up, Lucan! We're ready to sail... unless you'd rather swim.

Lucan stands up and looks down at Niika.

Lucan : Well... I guess this is it. It was nice getting to know you Niika.

Niika stands up as well.

Niika : Yeah... likewise.

They stand for a moment with their arms awkwardly at their sides.

Lucan : Alright, well, goodbye.

Lucan begins leaving.

Niika : Be Safe.

Lucan walks almost out of sight, and looks back once more at Niika. Their eyes meet and they each smile. He then disappears and boards the ship.

Back to the bow of the ship, Alec is looking over the edge. Kiyoshi approaches and Alec stands at attention.

Alec : Captain Kiyoshi, sir!

Kiyoshi : At ease, soldier.

Kiyoshi walks to the railing beside Alec and they both look out over the ocean.

Kiyoshi : As a Felina, I can understand being fearful of the oceans, but I suspect this is not what troubles you, Alec.

Alec : No sir. It's just... defending against undead and rooting out bandits is one thing, but this...

Alec trails off.

Kiyoshi : This is greater.

Alec : These undead are coordinated, armed, and ruled by that dangerous psychopath they call the Necrolord.

Kiyoshi : I've been serving Felden ever since my grandfather was Captain of the Guard. I was half your age and expected to become the next Captain after... my father. How long have you been in the military?

Alec : Only three years, sir.

Kiyoshi : In those three years you've had more training than any of these Necromancer scum. When we find this Necrolord, I'll kill him myself and the rest will falter. If you obey my orders and remember your training, we will sail to victory today.