IX. Year 1: Mirror of Erised

*IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE*

I have went back and edited the previous chapters. I have decided to make it so that Harry does not yet know about Regulus being his father, but he will find out in this chapter. Harry hasn't opened the letter from James yet so I have changed that. So I just wanted to clear all that up. Sorry for not updating this for like a year 😀 Over the past year I have developed this story to be more in depth and I think it is significantly better than what is was before. If you want to re-read the previous chapters to see the very minor changes you can, but I don't think it's really necessary.

 If you want to re-read the previous chapters to see the very minor changes you can, but I don't think it's really necessary

⋆ ✵ ⋆ ❀

"His parents weren't Lily and James. They were some boy who he didn't know and James."

⋆ ✵ ⋆ ❀

Harry had been in the forbidden section of the library looking for a book about Nicholas Flannel when he almost got caught. How when he was literally wearing an invisibility cloak, he had no clue. That was just his luck at this point.

He continued to wander the halls, trying to get away from Filch and his bloody cat. He tried to be as quiet as possible, but his sneakers were annoyingly loud against the cold and hard Hogwarts ground. He seriously regretted not wearing slippers or something.

He eventually stumbled across a room and he carefully slipped into it, shutting the door as quietly as humanly possible. The room was beautiful because of the way the moonlight shined into the room, illuminating its beauty. But that wasn't what interested Harry the most.

What interested him the most was the huge and old but beautiful looking mirror in the middle of the room. On the top in faded inscribing it read "The Mirror of Erised." This was a time where he was wished Hermione was here. This mirror seemed so important and he had no clue what it was. Something about it just seemed so ancient and... magical. And when he stepped forward he immediately knew why that was.

As he walked towards the mirror, his parents came into view. They were standing on either side of him and they had their hands on his shoulders. With their free hand, they were holding hands. All three of them looked so happy and like the perfect family. Except as he focused in on their faces, he realized they weren't his parents.

Well, James was there, but Lily wasn't. Instead a boy with short black curly hair, a freckled face, and grey eyes identical to Harry's stood next to him. He was holding James's hand. Why was he holding his hand? What did this mean?

After a couple minutes of staring at the mirror, the realization came.

His parents weren't Lily and James. They were some boy who he didn't know and James. But how? Why did he end up at the Dursleys then if they weren't related to him? Was his father still alive and they had keeping him a secret from Harry for the last 11 years?

Suddenly he remembered, the letter. The letter from James.

⋆ ✵ ⋆ ❀

When Harry arrived in the common room his roommates were playing a very competitive and intense game of wizards chess, so he said hello and then took this opportunity as a chance to open the letter in privacy.

When he entered his room, he immediately sat down on his bed and grabbed the letter outside of his bedside table. He opened the letter eagerly as soon as he got his hands on it.

The first thing that he pulled out was a moving picture of his dads. They were dancing on what Harry recognized as the Quidditch pitch as they beamed at each other. They looked very in love and it made Harry smile helplessly. But who was this other guy?

The other boy was wearing a Slytherin jumper, so he now knew his other father was a Slytherin. Was that why Harry was almost a Slytherin? Is that what the sorting hat meant?

In the photo James had messy hair like Harry's and almost identical glasses, except James's were more like rectangles and not circles. James was wearing his Gryffindor team captain jersey that had Potter on the back and the number seven under it. The Gryffindor crest was stitched into his sleeve.

Harry didn't waste anytime after that and he pulled out the actually letter and began to read it.

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚

Dear, Harry

If you are reading this I am dead, which obviously probably know that already. I am currently writing this in my office as I'm holding a sleeping you in my arms. I'm writing this in case I don't make it out of this war alive. Happy late 11th birthday! I'm going to tell Dumbledore to give this to you on Christmas. You have Regulus's beautiful grey eyes and I'm so happy you got them instead of the Potter brown eyes.

I'm sure you have a lot of questions about me and your dad and how we even got together and worked out, or how your dad got pregnant and that one I'm still not quite sure yet either. I don't know who you are living with now, but hope it is someone good and not people like Lily's sister and her husband.

All I want you to know for now is that me and your dad were very happy together and he isn't like those evil Slytherins I'm sure you have heard all about, but unfortunately something happened and we broke up. Regulus Black was one of the bravest people I've ever met and I don't know how he died, but I'm going to kill Voldemort for ever hurting him. I really hope someday you get to find out how he died because I sadly don't think I ever will.

I'm going to write another letter after this that will explain the whole story of our relationship, but I think it will be more appropriate if you receive it on your 13th birthday instead of when you are 11. That's sadly all for now, see you when you are 13.

Your father,
James Fleamont Potter

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚

Harry finished the letter in tears. Just knowing the slightest bit more about his parents made tears spill out of his eyes and onto the parchment. Because of the letter he knew who his father was. He had recognized it immediately because it was on the quidditch pin next to James's. His father was Regulus Black. Another thing that he knew now was that his father was infact dead. Harry was still an orphan.

He took off his glasses and let himself lay there sobbing. All he wanted was to have parents that were alive and what now made it worse was that his parents sounded like amazing people. Harry wished he could know more about Regulus. He knew about James, but no one knew anything about Regulus Black and he couldn't exactly go around asking people. His father had obviously been kept a secret from the wizarding world for a good reason, he couldn't just start asking people about Regulus. People would get suspicious. Should he tell Ron and Hermione? He could trust them with this secret, right?

And then something clicked in his brain. That face Hagrid had made when Petunia mentioned Lily being his mother. Hagrid knew about Regulus being his father.

***

I don't have a meme for this chapter sorry, but I am posting a Regulus flashback right after this though so yeah 😀

Words: 1253