XII: Year 1: The Man With Two Faces

⋆ ✵ ⋆ ❀

⋆ ✵ ⋆ ❀

"He entertained the thought of him and his two dads living together as a family."

⋆ ✵ ⋆ ❀

"So you mean to tell me that you-know-who is out in those woods right now, Harry?" Hermione asked with a terrified and confused look on her face. Harry was currently sitting in the common room with Ron and Hermione telling them about his detention with Draco. He had told them everything besides the part about his parents of course.

"Yes, but he is weak and living off of unicorns. You see, we got it wrong. Snape isn't trying to get the stone for himself, he is trying to get the stone for Voldemort," Harry answered. "With the stone Voldemort will be strong again. He'll.... He'll come back."

"But even if he does come back, you don't think he will try to kill you, do you? I mean that already failed on him once and what reason does he have to now?" Ron asked with a concerned look on his face.

"I think if that centaur hadn't showed up and scared him off, he would have killed me tonight. He clearly has something that is motivating him."

Ron looked at him like he was crazy. "How are you so calm about this? Bloody hell, I've been less calm worrying about my potions final than you are about you-know-who wanting to kill you!"

"You two are forgetting something. Dumbledore is the only wizard who you-know-who ever feared, so as long as Dumbledore is at this school, you are safe, Harry," Hermione reminded them.

That statement was proven to be false the next day.

***

Harry, Hermione, and Ron had just finished their exams and were now walking the school grounds. Harry's scar had been burning more than usual and Ron and Hermione were starting to get concerned by it. Harry had a gut feeling that it was a warning.

When they passed Hagrid's hut, it all suddenly clicked in brain. He picked up a sprint towards the giants hut. Ron and Hermione both gave him confused looks, but they followed him regardless. Harry figured he should probably explain himself, "Don't you two find it weird that the only thing Hagrid wanted was a dragon and then a suddenly a stranger shows up and just happens to have one? I mean not many people just wander around Hogwarts grounds with dragon eggs. I should have seen it before!"

Once they reached Hagrid, Harry spoke again, "Hagrid! Who gave you the dragon egg? What did he look like?!"

"Dunno, never saw his face. He always kept his hood up," Hagrid answered giving the three first years skeptical looks.

"But you two must have talked?"

"Well yes," the giant clarified. "You know, he was just curious about fluffy and I told him that the trick to calming any beast is to play them music."

Ron, Harry, and Hermione shared a look with each other and the regret on Hagrid's face was instant. They took off in a sprint towards the castle and Hagrid yelled after them, but they didn't listen.