X. Flashback: Regulus Black's deepest desire

May 27th, 1977

Stupid James Potter.

Regulus had been wandering the halls at night, because it was peaceful, when he ran into James Potter who had the audacity to use his new head boy powers against Regulus and get him a detention when he too was wandering around the halls at night and not doing prefect or head boy rounds.

Regulus was pissed.

He absolutely despised James Potter. He stole his brother and turned him into a stupid mudblood lover. He was so infuriating, always messing up his stupid hair and playing with his golden stitch to impress Lily Evans. There was no one Regulus Black hated more than James Potter.

Suddenly he heard the meow of a cat and Filch's voice. Great. The least he needed at the moment was to be caught by Filch, so he entered the nearest door which he had never been in before. It was a door that was always locked, but wasn't now. How he knew it was always locked wasn't important and nor did he want to relive the memory.

What he wasn't expecting to see in the room was the mirror of erised. They had been forced to look into it in his second year. He had seen his family all standing together happily. It was no shock to him that he had seen that.

He walked curiously over to the mirror. When he looked into the mirror he saw Sirius teasing him, but in the brotherly way he always did when they were kids. But that wasn't what shocked him the most.

Next to Regulus, James Potter was standing there smiling at him. Of course that shocked him, but that also wasn't what shocked him the most. They were holding hands. He, Regulus Black, was holding James Potters hand. He was holding the boy who he despised the most, hand.

He took panicked steps back until they disappeared in the mirror. He had not expected that. He had been expecting to see his parents standing on either side of him. He expected them to be smiling at him proudly as a dark mark was shown on his arm. He had expected that and not himself standing happily with two blood traitors.

But, what annoyed him the most was the stupid blush that had appeared on his face and the annoying urge to step in front of the mirror again. He fought the urge and ran out of the room and to the dungeons.

What the hell had just happened?

***

Regulus any time James opens his mouth to speak: