Testosterone

CW-mentions of 'private parts' in this.

Some people wanted some extra information on testosterone, so I will tell you everything that I know.

Testosterone is the male hormone.

A lot of trans masculine person choose to take testosterone so that they can possess masculine secondary sex characteristics such:
-deeper voice
-facial hair
-more body hair/thicker/darker body hair
-change in fat distribution that gives you a more masculine shaped body

Other side effects of testosterone which aren't talked about as much are:
-change in oder/u become a stinky boy
-sweating more
-clitoral growth
-easier to gain muscle
-mood change/swings? (Different for different people)
-you eat more for a while
-increased libido
-receding hairline (not always)

Taking T is a second puberty. You just go through mens puberty, so you experience what most teen boys experience.

A lot of the changes are based off of genetics. So for example, if both sides of your family struggle to grow facial hair, you will probably also struggle to grow facial hair.

Also depending on genetics, you might experience weight loss or gain.

Also bye bye period.

There are quite a few methods for taking T such as: Shot (injections), gel/cream, patch, pill, pellets (and I've heard there's a nose spray type one? Sounds kinda sus to me tho ngl).

According to some research I did a while back, injections and gels/creams are the doctors go-to options and most likely to be covered by insurance.

-shots (injections): injecting the T either into your muscle or tissue. Some say that it is a more affective method, some prefer it as they think it feels "more rewarding" in a way.

-gel/cream: as far as I know, these are rarely similar, you apply to your skin and you absorb it. Unfortunately, some people end up not experiencing much change because their body won't absorb it properly and so they change to a different application method. This method is the most popular apparently.

I've heard somewhere that pills aren't being made anymore? But I assume that just depends on where you live.

With shots, you inject them into large muscle (but, thigh (intramuscular shot)); or into the subcutaneous layer of tissue (just under the skin), this can be done in your abdomen, side of arm, thigh, or back of arms.

In any case, a doctor or experienced member of your family will show you how to inject. Most common forms are done in thigh or abdomen since they are easier for self injections.
You can ask your gp to do them for you if you aren't able to.
Some clinics prefer if you have access to someone with needle experience (gp, doctor, family member, friend).

There is no accurate timeline for testosterone effects.

It can take between a couple of weeks to a whole year before your voice actually starts cracking. It depends on genetics and sometimes just coincidence or the type of dosage you are taking. Not entirely sure.

But if it's been a few months and you are wondering where tf your beard is, it's probably just taking it's sweet ass time.
You just gotta be patient.

Before you are given T, you need to get blood work done where they test to look at your hormones and how much of a T dosage they should give you.
Eg. If you have a hormone imbalance (like myself), then you will probably have smaller dosages.

There is an option called micro dosing. A lot of nonbinary people chose this option as it's usually very androgynous.
It's small doses of T which gives more discrete effects.

After taking testosterone for a while and all the effects have come in, there are some which are permanent if you ever decided to stop taking it.
If you stop taking T:
-your period returns
-your fat distribution eventually goes back to normal
-most other effects return to normal eventually.

But!
The following symptoms are permanent:
-facial hair/darker thicker body hair
-deeper voice
(Not sure about clitoral growth)

(I've heard a few people say that these effects can eventually fade depending on how long you have been on testosterone, they just take a really long time)

Sometimes, trans men can either accidentally get pregnant or want to have a baby with their partners. Doctors tell you to stop taking the hormone a certain amount of time before hand as it can effect the foetus.
TESTOSTERONE DOES NOT PREVENT PREGNANCY! I've heard a few people say it does and it DOES NOT, it just makes it harder, not impossible.

The typical price for Testosterone (shots) is apparently between £40-80 per month at average, but it entirely depends on where you get testosterone from. (Not sure about the other methods)
Private clinics usually cost more, especially if you have to get assessed first (which is recommended and usually mandatory) which often costs money (from what I've seen) but it's good to get it done (in my opinion).

The common age for testosterone is 16, but I believe it might depend on whether or not you have been taking hormone blockers for a long time before hand.
But often, 16 is the earliest.

A lot of clinics do not provide care for anyone under the age of 18.

These are the possible risks/ complications of taking testosterone:
(DISCLAIMER: I IN NO WAY INTEND ON SCARING OR DISCOURAGING YOU FROM TAKING IT. I BELIEVE MOST OF THESE DEPEND ON GENETICS LIKE THE OTHER EFFECTS. THEY ARE RARE FROM WHAT IVE READ)
-Producing to many red blood cells (polycythemia)
-weight gain (genetics and typically normal for male puberty anyway)
-acne (just puberty tho innit)
-developing male-pattern baldness
-sleep apnea
-Developing an abnormal level of cholesterol and other lipids, which may increase cardiovascular risk (dyslipidemia)
-high blood pressure
-type 2 diabetes
-Deep vein thrombosis and/or pulmonary embolism (venous thromboembolism)
-infertility
-A condition where the lining of the vagina becomes drier and thinner (atrophic vaginitis)
-pelvic pain
-clitoral discomfort

^^ some of these are the same increased risks that cis men have.

Myths:
-"T makes me uncontrollably angry and give me 'roid rage' " nope, just puberty, mood swings and stuff. There's a chance that you might become easily annoyed by some things, but if you didn't have that before then I doubt it will be noticeable if it even happens at all.
-"I will get cancer" no research has shown that T increases any changes of cancers.
-"T will make me taller" sorry luv, but that depends on genetics, even then it is still extremely rare that you will even grow an extra inch or two.
-"T will make tiddies go away" nah, due to fat redistribution, your breasts can get smaller but they don't disappear.
-"taking testosterone makes you gay" Nope, if your gay ur gay. It's common for your sexuality to change after taking T, but nobody is sure whether or not it's due to T or it's more of a mental thing.

(Mentions of clitoris only in paragraph below)
Buy boxers if you don't have some already, and maybe some comfortable/baggy trousers as it can get uncomfortable down there according to others experiences.
IT DOES NOT FUNCTION AT ALL LIKE A PENIS. People keep asking and no it does not. It's the same, just grown due to testosterone. It doesn't grow that much.

-You may notice changes in your perception of the senses. For example, when you touch things, they may "feel different" and you may perceive pain and temperature differently. Your tastes in foods or scents may change.

-periods usually get lighter and later till they stop all together, but sometimes periods GET WORSE before they stop (heavier and possibly longer than usual)

Unfortunately, some trans masculine people can't take T due to medical issues.

You can find more information on:
- https://transcare.ucsf.edu/article/information-testosterone-hormone-therapy
- https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/masculinizing-hormone-therapy/about/pac-20385099

(^^My personal favourite sites for FtM testosterone HRT effects)

(If I forgot to mention something or I wrote something wrong then please tell me)