Stood Up

You sat at the end of the bar staring at your glass of wine glumly. You had been waiting for about an hour and a half now and it was clear that he was a no show.

You sighed to yourself, feeling disappointed but not surprised.

"Another large glass please" you told the bartender. He nodded and started pouring you the drink immediately. You tapped your card on the little machine to pay and began to sip at your fourth glass of the night.

You remained sat there for a little longer, minding your own business and falling deep in thought until a guy stood beside you, resting his hands on the bar.

"A pint of Heineken please" he told the bartender. The bartender nodded. You glanced over to the guy and noticed he had fiery reddish like hair. He seemed familiar, as if you had met him before but you wasn't sure as to why. He locked eyes with yours and sent you a warm smile, causing your cheeks to fluster a pink colour as you diverted your gaze to the ground.

He smirked a little, noticing how you had become shy all of a sudden. He glanced at you once more whilst he waited for his pint. He took in every detail he could. He noticed how your black dress hugged your figure perfectly, even if you were sitting down, and how your dark brown curls hung looser from your head and looked effortless. He appreciated the makeup you was wearing, it enhanced your features and in his opinion you looked beautiful. He noticed the sad look on your face, but chose not to question it, not wanting to make you feel any worse than you already did.

Just as his pint was handed over to him, another figure slid in between the gap of you both.

"All alone?" The voice grumbled. You looked up once again to see a guy who must have been a few years older than you were. You could smell the alcohol on his breath and felt uneasy as he stared you up and down hungrily.

You cleared your throat before speaking.

"Umm, I guess" you muttered, avoiding eye contact and taking another sip of your drink.

"I can change that" he spoke lowly, placing his hand on your lower back and rubbing small circles on it. You felt your body stiffen up immediately at the feeling of this and removed his hand.

"Umm, thank you but no" you attempted to tell him politely. All this done was earn a glare from him in response, feeling unamused by what you had said.

"Come on, I can show you a good time, you're clearly here for a reason huh?" He attempted to convince her, moving her hair away from her ear and getting closer to it.

"I really didn't-"

"She told you no" a voice interrupted. You focused your gaze in the direction of the voice to see the red head from early still where he was stood, except this time he had his pint in his hand and his eyes were narrowed at the guy between you both.

"What's it to you?" The guy chuckled, feeling unbothered but his sudden attempt to stop him.

"Leave her alone" the boy lowered his voice this time, glaring back at the freak as he stayed put. The guy stared back for a moment, before looking between the two of you and scoffing as he shook his head. 

"You were asking for that attention dressed like that" he snapped at you before walking away with a bump on the shoulder to the guy who had defended you.

You watched for a moment as he walked away, trying his best to seem 'cool'.

"Thank you...you really didn't have to do that" you thanked the boy, feeling relieved that creep had left. He shrugged and took a sip of his pint.

"I wasn't going to let him touch you up and freak you out like that" he told you, setting his pint back down on the bar. You remained silent and half smiled at him.

"Seriously though, what's a beautiful girl like you doing alone at a bar like this?" He questioned you, remaining stood in his spot as you remained sat in your chair.

You hesitated for a moment before signing and speaking up.

"I got stood up...was supposed to be on a date with this guy I met on tinder" you told him, feeling embarrassed so avoiding any eye contact from happening. He looked at you sympathetically.

"Well that's a massive loss for him" he told you.

You smiled ever so slightly, feeling butterflies erupt in your stomach as you felt nervous by his words.

"Who are you here with?" You questioned him, sipping at your wine once again.

"Some friends from work..." he told you, not removing his gaze from you.

"Shouldn't you be getting back to them? I don't want to keep you-"

"And let you get perved on by another freak? Nah. Besides, you seem alright to talk to" he smirked playfully, lighting up the mood ever so slightly.

You laughed softly and brushed your hair away from your face.

You paused for a moment, taking in his features.

"Have we met before?" You questioned him curiously.

He squinted his eyes slightly before shaking his head.

"I don't believe we have...maybe we've seen each other around?" He suggested, not wanting to tell you what his real job was for a moment.

Believing his words you shrugged and nodded.

"Maybe" you grinned.

"If it's okay with you, I'd love to buy you another drink" he beamed, noticing how you were nearly finished with your glass of wine.

"I think I'll accept the offer" you grinned.

"What would you like?" He questioned.

"Vodka orange...make it a double" you smirked, making the most of the free drink. He smiled and nodded.

"Of course" he spoke before leaning over the bar to get the bartenders attention and order your drink.