My brother- in the maze (Newt) Part 3

Your POV

Things had calmed down since we banished Ben after being stung but Gally was freaking out the most about him being stung in broad daylight. The rest of us on the other hand were trying our best to get over it and continue with our lives.

To step in for Ben, Alby decided to go with Minho into the maze today to try and retrace ben's footsteps and hopefully find any clues as to what happened to ben.

"Why does Alby get to go into the maze? I thought non-runners weren't allowed?" Thomas asked no one in particular as Newt and Zart began chopping a tree whilst chuck, thomas and I stood and watched. However, thomas was supposed to be helping...

"He's gone back to retrace ben's footsteps, are you gonna help?" Newt asked curiously, stopping for a moment to catch his breath. I chuckled at his face which was scrunched up due to the sunlight being in his eyes. He caught me laughing so threw a rock at me in which I thankfully dodged.

"But why though? Alby isn't a runner" thomas proceeded to ask.

"Look greenie, when the glade was first made there had to be someone who came up here first and witnessed everything for a whole month alone. And that was Alby. As a new greenie came up in the box each month, he learnt that the most important thing was that we had each other. He's in control around here because he knows everything better than anyone" newt explained to my brother. Zart continued with his work whilst chuck stood staring between the two boys.

Thomas let out a sigh before standing up and helping the tow boys cut the tree down.

"Yeah, there you go greenie" newt told Thomas before turning to me and grinning at me.

I looked up at the sky and saw a dark grey sky forming in the distance and heading in the direction of the glade. I saw Thomas look up and notice it too, newt copied, then Zart.

"What are you all staring a- ooh okay never mind" chuck said once he followed our gazes to see the sky himself.

It wasn't long before the rain started to pour. It was light rain at first so it didn't effect anything we were doing but soon enough it got heavier and heavier and we all had to flee for shelter. Some people were chilling in the homestead whilst Newt, Zart, Gally, thomas, Chuck, a few others and I were standing underneath the shelter where the hammocks are.

Gally kept his distance from us as he rested his arms on some poles, staring out into the maze doors. Chuck was sat on his hammock staring in the same direction and I was leaning against newt who was leaning against a large pole with his arm around my waist tightly. Thomas was to the left of us but in front a little bit as he tapped the pole in front of him with his fingers anxiously.

"They should be back by now" Thomas spoke loudly, frustration in his voice as we all stared at the maze doors.

He was right. Alby and Minho should've been back by now in time for dinner but there was no sign of them. Inside I was freaking out just as much as thomas but I managed to compose myself and hide it. I looked up at newt who was staring intently at the maze doors. He didn't look down at me but he rubbed his thumb on my side to give me some reassurance.

I sighed and laid my head on his chest as I continued to watch the entrance of the maze.

"What happens if they don't make it?" Thomas asked frantically but didn't move from his spot.

"They're gonna make it" Newt replied confidently, not taking his eyes off the entrance either.

"What happens if they don't?" Thomas asked, this time coming towards us and stopping in front of us.