New York

A month later,

Shen sighed. This past month has been really hard. Shen and Saki were only able to buy a small two-bedroom apartment. It was a bit rundown, but it was enough for now. Saki then came in with a smile. "Shen, I have good news."

"What is it, Saki?"

He grabbed something out of his pocket and gave it to her. "I finally got my green card." Shen gasped. "You did! But..wait..why did you not take me with you? I need one too."

"Why? Only one of us needs to take the test. Once I pass it, you can become a citizen by marriage." Shen raised a brow. "But...I want to become a citizen on my own...If we get divorced-"

"Divorce?!" Saki snapped. "What are you talking about Shen?! We aren't even married yet and you are already talking about divorcing me?!" Shen shook her head. "No! I am just saying, just in case our marriage does not work out, that I should take the test too, so they will not send me back to Japan."

"You do not think our marriage is going to work! You have no faith I can be the husband that you want! You want to go back to him, don't you?!" Saki accuses and Shen's eyes widened, shocked by his reaction. "No, Saki! I did not mean it like that! It is just that-"

"You do not love me, do you?! You just love him! You want him, don't you?!" Saki yelled, sounding all hurt and betrayed. Shen stared at him in shock for a few more moments. "No, Saki, I do not. I love you. I am sorry, I do not need to take the test."

That seemed to finally calm him down. He sighed. "I am sorry, I lost my temper on you." Shen shook her head and grabbed his arm. "No, I am sorry. I was insensitive with my words. I do have faith in our marriage, I can not wait until we make it legal."

Saki smiled. "I love you, Tang Shen." Shen hesitated. "I...love you too, Saki."

...

Later that night,

Shen was eating dinner while thinking about her daughter. She wanted to call Yoshi, but she doesn't have any money to get a phone. She was only able to call him one time in a phone booth and that was only to give him her information so he will know where she's living in case he ever comes and brings Miwa here. She tried writing letters but Saki accused her of sending Yoshi 'secret love letters,' so she stopped.

It was so frustrating! Her daughter was all the way in a whole other country and she had no way to contact her! Shen hopes that Miwa is happy and is alright, she knows Yoshi will take care of her but she still worries.

She was sitting on the worn-out couch, eating ramen noodles for the millionth time. She used to love ramen but now she was getting sick and tired of eating the same meal three times a day. It would be nice if Saki was here with her during dinner but he has to go out and find a job so they don't get kicked out. Shen wanted to try looking for a job as well but Saki said that she didn't need to, that he will be the one to provide and take care of her.

Hard work is something Shen loves doing. She hates relaxing but when she tried to explain that to Saki he yelled at her, saying things like, "You think I can not provide for you?! You think I can not give you a happy life?!" In the end, Shen agreed to let Saki be the one to provide the money, just to keep the peace.

She was sitting peacefully, watching a show on the little TV they had before she started feeling nauseous. She ran to the bathroom and threw up in the toilet. She didn't stop until her stomach was completely empty. Shen panted and sat up straight with a groan. She grabbed a bag she kept under the sink, to get some medicine that would soothe her stomach while also wondering what could have caused her to throw up like that? She hasn't thrown up that badly since she was pregnant with her daughter.