Prolouge

"You can't leave, not now!" Ivy tugged on my cloak, pulling as hard as she could, her unstable body fell back as I yanked it from her grip.

"Walk away Ivy, and don't look back,"

"I'll- I'll tell papa!" I paused for a moment.

"Goodbye Ivy," I saddled my horse and snapped the reins.

"Morana come back! Don't go!" I forced my teeth together. I'm sorry Ivy, please stay safe. Snow began to fall and I urged Clay to pick up the pace, moving from a quick tramp to racing through the snow. I had to pass through Subnivea, the castle town, to get to the main forest of Isocheim, where I'll be able to hide without any issues. I could hear the snow crunch under his hooves, only hardly though, the wind was picking up and it deafened everything else around me.

It wasn't long before I entered the castle town, buildings flashed past my vision, people yelled out as I entered the town square, I yanked on his reins, hard. He pulled back ferociously, almost throwing me off of him. People crowded around us fearfully, the square was packed, they had nowhere else to go.

"Watch out!'"

"Who is that?"

"Is that... the princess?"

"Princess Moranavine!"

"Please, help us,"

"What have you done to our home?"

I pulled away, overwhelmed. People grabbed onto my cloak and dug at my horse while others were aiming to throw food and small objects at me. Clay shrieked and rose on his two hooves.

"Move!" I cried out as he slammed his hooves back on the ground. I let out a shaky breath as I snapped the reins.

"Hya!" He took off with ferocious speed, knocking people to the ground as we rammed our way through. As we twisted through discouraging alleyways I could hear an echo of a powerful voice. He couldn't have... already? But how? Fear rose within my body as I heard his voice, my brother's voice, Gabriel. I panicked.

"Faster Clay!" he picked up his pace, I leaned in close to his body feeling the rumble of every step he took with ferocity. Something had snagged my cloak and I was yanked back some, at first, I thought it was my brother but it had been a windy branch off of an old town building. This snag forced my head back and a flash of green and red zoomed past my vision. I pulled my body back down, the snag had scared me enough to paralyze. Focus, focus, you're alright, he won't find you, he can't find you, you've been planning this for months.

I won't fail.

Clay was able to guide us out of the castle town and before long, into the forest. The trees were lined with pine and evergreen so thick you couldn't see the sky, but snow always found its way to the ground. My breath was ragged as it crystallized and became visible fog. I tightened the thread securing the hood to my head and leaned in close to my horse.

"Moranavine Winter!" A frightened spark traveled down my spine, even through the wind and clomping of my horses' hooves I could hear his voice clear as day. Once he spoke, another pair of stomping hooves came into sound. No... no! How did he find me so fast!

"Morana slow your horse!"

"No!" I snapped the reins and Clay cried out before picking pace once again.

"Mora, slow down, you're going to hurt yourself!" I turned my head back to see my eldred brother riding his strongest steed, wearing the crest of our kingdom on his breastplate.