Chapter 4

Merlins POV

It was so dark, I couldn't see anything, I could only feel around and, God, everything hurts, fear and drowsiness swirled in my stomach as I groaned in pain.

"We need light." Her voice, it's so soft and delicate, something that I wasn't used to living in a house of men. My eyes burned as a bright yellow glow warmed around us. I was able to see Moranavine, an orb hovered in between her hands. Magic... she has magic.

"How are you doing that?" I croaked.

"That's not what you need to worry about right now, I'm gonna find some wood and start a fire, give me a few minutes." She sent the orb down the ravine, lighting the ground. There were, in fact, many branches scattered around, they must've fallen in. She used her magic to bring the larger branches between the center of us and rested them against each other to form a little pyramid, I watched the orb float down into the wood and it set ablaze. A blast of heat warmed my body as I let out a shivered breath. I hadn't realized how cold it was until I felt the heat of the fire.

"I'm so sorry." She hushed, staring blankly into the fire.

"For what?" I droned. Her body turned to face me, but her head hung low, like something heavy burdened her shoulders.

"Everything." She choked and through all the pain I was feeling right now, nothing was more prominent than the sinking feeling in my gut when I heard her voice crack.

"What- gah!" It burns, this blade, God it hurts.

"Merlin, listen to me." I strained to keep my eyes open and my ears on her. "You're going to have to guide me." Her voice was crisp and sharp, she was trying to be quick about this.

"How?" I whimpered. She held her hands out towards me, palms up.

"Take my hands and guide them." I stared at her for a moment, her eyes traveled different directions, as if she was still looking for me even though I sat right in front of her.

"Okay." I let out a shaky breath and grabbed her hands with one of my own, pulling them down to the blade. She felt the grip of the weapon and I hissed.

"This isn't going to be pretty." Her hands traveled to the area surrounding the knife, feeling my body around it. "Are you ready?" She asked.

"As I'll ever be." I groaned, I could feel her changing her grip, tightening.

"Here we go." With one swift, agonizing movement, she wrenched the blade. My muscles tensed and every nerve surrounding the blade felt as though it had been lit ablaze, I yelled out for only a moment before trying to relax my body.

"Are you doing alright?" Her voice timid.

"Yeah, I'm okay, just-" I choked on my words, or, more like a liquid. Wet coughs exploded from my lips. I looked towards Moranavine and she brushed her hand against her cheek, red came off. It was my blood.

"Merlin, what is this? Tell me. Now."

"Blood." I mumbled, I could feel my body going numb, why? What's happening to me? I could only focus my vision on her, she brought the knife close to her face and pressed the pad of her finger onto the tip then delved it into her mouth, only to pull her hand away and spit out the contents.

"He poisoned the blade." My side suddenly felt still, almost inanimate, I pressed a hand against my wounded hip, only to feel stone instead. My eyes snapped open and I looked down, my body... it's stone... it's turning to stone!

"Moranavine! Help!" I could see panic race through her clouded eyes as I grabbed her hand and pressed it against my stone turned body.

"Hold on! Just... try to fight it off!" I watched her rummage through her pouch, pulling things out, she was looking for something. Meanwhile the stone infection spread across my torso, down my legs and up my neck.