Chapter 5

Morana's POV

"So what's the plan?" Merlin hummed. My shoulders answer with a shrug. "We can't exactly stay down here forever."

I had just finished wrapping my hand after having to cut it, I tucked the cloth into itself and stood, staring up.

"What does it look like up there?" A long pause filled the air.

"What?"

"How deep is the cavern?"

"I'm not sure, I can see the moon, but it looks pretty high up."

"Well, we could climb." He laughed at this.

"Right, I'd fall before we made it halfway, besides it's too tall." I recalled Merlin's unfortunate wound.

"Oh, yeah."

"Can you use your magic?" He perked. I shook my head.

"No, I'm pretty much spent, honestly I'm shocked I was able to use it as much as I did." I raised my brows. "But you can use yours right? Can you send out a flare with your lightning?"

"I can certainly try, come help an old man up," he teased. I chuckled and he grabbed onto my hand, I pulled him to a stand and he hummed.

"You said your blindness occurs until morning, yes?" I nodded. "Then should we just wait until then?"

"We could but then the flare won't be as noticeable."

"True, well I only have two charms left, I'll try one now, but we need to save the other one for an emergency."

"Alright. We've been down here for a few hours, I hope they're still looking for us."

"The rest of F7?"

"Yeah, I asked them to catch up as soon as possible, I just hope that actually happened." I heard him mumble something under his breath, I didn't like it.

"Well here goes nothing." A gust of wind pressed into my body as a loud thunderclap was heard. I hope it was bright enough, strong enough, tall enough, God I hope it's just... enough.

"Agh!" I snapped my head towards his voice, he stood to my side and he grabbed onto my cloak, he was falling and almost ended up taking me down with him. I grabbed onto his arms and held him up, sustaining his descent.

"You okay?" My arms transferred under his and I pressed my hands into his back, holding him up against me.

"Yeah, I just wasn't expecting that. God I'm so tired." It felt like I had been pounced with realization. With his blood loss and insane amount of adrenaline, I don't understand how he hasn't completely passed out.

"You should rest, I'll stay up and try to figure something out." I hummed.

"I can't sleep now, what if something happens?"

"Y'know, for someone who's blind, worry isn't the best look on you." I retorted.

He snickered, "You are just full of wit, huh?"

"I try, so don't worry, I'm more than capable of defending us." I spoke with confidence but in reality I can only hope that it's true, I have battle technique but if it comes to a battle between magic I don't think I'll win. I helped sit Merlin down and unhooked my cape and tunic, leaving me in a thick, white shirt and brown pants. I helped Merlin pull his shirt back on and button his blazer. I let him use my tunic as a more comforting pillow than the rock floor and my cape as a blanket. He snuggled close to the fire and surprisingly towards me.

---

As the blaze burned I couldn't help but wonder of Merlin's own curse. It affects his appearance, that much I know, but, when I can't see, when I don't have the opportunity to gaze upon him, his body proportions are drastically different from what I can see. I'm not entirely sure what the case is and it's too early to theorize, I would need to have more time around him, or any of the other dwarves for that fact. A sudden chill froze my spine as Merlin inched closer to me, probably for warmth.