T I M E O F T H E S E A S O N

What's your name

What's your name

Who's your daddy

is he rich like me

Has he taken

Any time

to show you what you need to live

~ The Zombies

Autumn rain fell outside in the darkness, thudding on the soft ground and bouncing off of the crisping leaves that were nearly ready to fall. It was a fine rain that danced across the dull glow of the streetlights in small flecks. The sound of footsteps was drowned out by the rain as a small, hooded silhouette ran as fast as they could down the sidewalk. A cold, shivering hand clutched onto the hood for dear life to keep it in place as the wind did its best to blow it off.

"Shit, mom's gonna kill me!" Issabel Green seethed between chattering teeth as she clutched her library books to her chest with her other hand, yelping as she felt her foot splash through a particularly deep puddle, soaking her converse up to the ankle. With the seasons changing, the nights had drawn in and at seven o'clock, it felt more like midnight. She had simply lost track of time at the library, doing some research for her science project, but her parents wouldn't see it that way considering they'd already be waiting at the dinner table at this point. It hadn't helped that the battery in her watch had gone flat.

Her glasses had fogged up with condensation from the cold rain and her breath hot and erratic, her pulse thumping heavily as she turned quickly made a turn onto Jackson Street where the street lights began to flicker and hum ominously. The girl attempted to wipe the raindrops from her glasses as she ran but failed to see the raised concrete slab corner up ahead.

She let out a small screech as she flew sprawling forwards, her library books landing in a puddle in a sodden heap and her glasses launching forwards before bouncing a few times and landing a few feet ahead onto the road with a large crack in one of the lenses. She landed on her knees, hands slapping against the wet concrete, undoubtedly grazed by the burning sting she felt as the mud and grit invaded the open wounds.

"Shit!"

She let out a shaky breath as she raised her head to look around for her glasses but it was no use, everything was a blur. Wiping her drenched face with a forearm, she began crawling forward in search of her glasses, feeling around in front of her and wincing as her cut palms grazed over wet debris. It was five minutes of searching on her hands and knees, rain pattering against the back of her coat before she let out a sigh, deciding that she would have to go on without them. At this point, it was probably better if she just got home and then she would use her pocket money to pay back the money for the library books which by that point would have been ruined. Her parents would be angry that she had broken her only pair of glasses though.