S A N I T A R I U M

Welcome to where time stands stillNo one leaves and no one willMoon is full, never seems to changeJust labeled mentally derangedDream the same thing every nightI see our freedom in my sightNo locked doors, no windows barredNo things to make my bra...

No one leaves and no one will
Moon is full, never seems to change
Just labeled mentally deranged
Dream the same thing every night
I see our freedom in my sight
No locked doors, no windows barred
No things to make my brain seem scarred

~ Metallica

Olivia Johnson spent her summer working part time at one of the grocery shops in Derry as a till assistant

Olivia Johnson spent her summer working part time at one of the grocery shops in Derry as a till assistant. The shop was run down and crumby, the Rogers Grocery 1916 sign on the front of the building was fading due to water damage. Forever would Olive remember the smell of fresh fruit and veg, a hint of moulding produce and the smooth jazz on the record player that played as she served the few customers. It had been tedious but she'd been allowed to read her book, The Hobbit which Issabel had let her borrow and she managed to save up for her crimson Dr Martens which she sported proudly and, somewhat, conceitedly as she had also gotten her braces removed a few days after. Her brother Terry had come back for the summer and irresponsibly taught her how to roll a cigarette for the first time which she smoked with him often, without their mom knowing of course.

She was haunted by what happened the day before summer break and she stayed awake sometimes cringing as she thought about it repeatedly, unable to sleep at night.

Terry had taken her out over summer in his yellow 1980 dodge colt, mostly into the countryside where they were away from Derry, something Olive was glad for as to avoid the Bowers gang which she managed to do successfully all summer. They sat for hours in the golden fields, in and on top of hay bales where they spoke about everything and anything. She told her brother about her grades, her friend Issabel and her part time work. She told him everything apart from the group of four boys who bullied her everyday in school.

Terry told her about how great of a time he was having and Olive couldn't help but feel a bit jealous of him.

She had been smiling at him in awe, arms wrapped around her bare knees when he'd told her about all of the friends he'd made, the parties he'd been to, the drugs he'd taken and the girls he'd messed around with but internally, she was in turmoil. Why couldn't her life be like his?