Chapter 3

They didn't go back to the guild. Instead, they went for a nice walk through the woods, the spring day creating a lovely mood.

Freed broke their comfortable silence. "So. What was that all about?"

Laxus growled. "I came to the guild and YOU WERE GONE! I can still smell that blonde ruffians scent on you. It makes my nose itchy."

Freed smiled, albeit a little forced. It seemed that for this month, he would have a very overprotective mate on him. There was nothing wrong with it, in fact Freed loved a little affection here and there. But he was also strongly independent and had a certain pride he would like to uphold.

"I appreciate your concern and protectiveness but please, let me live my life too, without you always hanging around." Freed said softly.

Laxus growled. "But-

"No. Let me have my time as well. I'm a grown man, and I can take care of myself! Now let's do a little training before we go back to the guild. Ever and Bicks might be a little worried".

They trained for an hour, then decided to head back to the guild. They were met by two distraught figures who quickly wrapped their arms around in relief.

"We thought something happened! You should have come straight here!" Exclaimed a distressed Evergreen.

Freed smiled reassuringly at her. "We're fine. And sorry for anything Laxus caused".

The lightning dragon slayer grunted. Now that he was back with Freed, he was relatively tame again, and felt a little disgruntled about the fact that everyone was treating him like a beast. Which he had been but still.

They all laughed in relief, then sat at their usual table. Freed surveyed the Guild.

Natsu had fallen asleep, his snores echoing the guildhall. Gajeel was watching Levy take notes from her books, looking a little bored. Wendy was no where to be seen.

Freed sighed a little then picked up the book about defence ruins he had been reading before. He pursed his lips at a particularly interesting part.

Laxus, who had been watching, couldn't help thinking how cute his mate was when he was reading.

Ever and Bickslow both smirked. They were those friends who shipped everyone with each other, and they were delighted yet again, to see their predictions come true. Plus, Freed and Laxus had been pining for each other for years, and as the good friends they were, they had always been pushing them.

Soon-with the exception of Freed- they all grew bored. Sitting around doing nothing was starting to fray at their nerves, and they weren't big book nerds like Freed, so they had nothing to do.

Bickslow stood and walked to the board of requests, and picked up a particularly interesting and well paying sheet. He headed back.

"We have to fight some bandits who've been killing and laundering villagers. It's at..... Horthorne Village (Let's pretend that exist yeah?) .

At the mention of the name, Freed's head shot up. He suddenly looked a little pale and distressed. Immediately, Laxus was on his feet and next to Freed, comforting him.

"Sss-sorry. I just.... Have some bad memories. But we can do it."

Bickslow raised his eyebrow. "You sure? I can get a different one." Freed shook his head.

"It's fine."