Chapter 7

Laxus watched in what seemed like slow motion as he saw his mate flung far away. He wasn't fast enough and could only watch helpless, as Freed disappeared into the distance.

"Freed!" Bickslow yelled, also helpless. "Oh no... Laxus please don't loose control! We need to stay alive!"

The words fell on deaf ears.

"GET HERE YOU DAMN PINK POM-POM FACE! I'M GOING TO SEND YOU TO HELL!" Laxus roared and suddenly, there was a huge force of magical energy. But before Laxus could release a magical force large enough to create a huge crater in the whole area, a blast of water covered the Fritachilac. It immediately shrieked and changed forms, before going back to the tree it was originally on.

"Why hello!" A young man with long, dark blue hair tied into a ponytail is standing there with a goofy grin. And he's holding...

"Freed!" Laxus cries. He rushes forward and snatches his mate out of the other male's hands. However, before he can, the blue haired snatches him away. "And what do you think you're doing?!"

"Give him to me! He's my mate!" Laxus roars.

The other male raises an eyebrow. "So I'm assuming you're also a dragon slayer?"

Laxus pauses. "You're a dragon slayer?"

"I am indeed. My name is Cobalt, a water dragon slayer. And you're Laxus, the lightning dragon slayer."

"Yeah yeah blah blah. Now hand over my mate!"

"First of all, "your mate" is also a human being who isn't handed around like a item or doll. Second, he's not officially your mate. He doesn't have a mark does he? And I can still smell that he's pure and untouched. So, anyone could claim him. Including me." Cobalt says mater of factly.

Laxus narrows his eyes threateningly. "You want Freed as your mate?"

"Yes." Cobalt says simply.

"Well you can't have him!" Laxus shouted, finally lunging at Cobalt, a large ball of lightning forming in his hand.

"No." Cobalt says again, before twisting to the side, dropping Freed. Immediately, Laxus jumped forward, wrapping his arms protectively around the green hair mage lying on the floor.

"I will get Freed as mine, you just wait. You better look out for yourselves, because if trouble comes again, I'm not saving any of you except my dear Freed. You just wait. I'm sure the.... others will have fun with you~." And with that, the water dragon slayer ran off.

"Stupid f*cking b*tch. I'll get him back the next time I see his ugly face." Laxus growled under his breath, just as Freed stirred beside him.

"Wha?" The green head mumbled, his voice still not coherent. "Laxus?"

"It's ok Freed, you're safe."

"Did.. did you save me?"

"...... Yeah."

"Oh... thanks Laxus!"

"Are you hurt anywhere Freed?"

"Yeah I'm fine... my ribs were really badly bruised but I think I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. Can you help me up?"

Laxus pulled Freed up. The greenette brushed his close off, before looking around for Bickslow and Evergreen. There was a whole tree's worth of leaves and branches in his hair, and it closely resembled a bird's nest.

"Where's Bicks and Ever?" Freed asked, still looking around.

"Uhh.... let's look for them?" Laxus said sheepishly. In his brawl with Cobalt he had lost track of the other two members in their party (Genshin! Sorry sorry...)

"They can't have gone far. You sure you can walk?"

"Yep I'm sure! I'm fine Laxus." Freed said, stepping forward confidently. Laxus was still sceptical, as Freed had a huge tendency of brushing off others in an attempt to "not bother others". Which always ended up worrying the others to no end.

***

They found Ever with Bickslow, who was kneeling over the brunette. Bickslow looked up when he heard footsteps.

"Thank goodness you guys are alright!" The soul mage said in relief. "I was just about to go find you guys but I'm glad I don't have to now. Ever isn't looking too good."

"What's wrong?" Freed said worriedly, already producing the First Aid kit from his bag that had somehow survived everything.

"She has a deep cut on her forehead and her wrist is shattered. And she might've fractured at least one of her ribs." Bickslow said, check Evergreen's wounds.

"Oh dear that doesn't sound good. Laxus lift her head up will you? Bickslow hand me the blanket in my bag." Freed instructed, already kneeling beside Ever, filing through the First Aid kit.

"Yes mama Freed." Bickslow and Laxus chorused, unable to resist the jibe despited the situation. Freed glared at them, although there wasn't real heat behind it. It was true after all, he acted almost like a mother towards all the members.

Bickslow snickered. "If you mate with Laxus then you could actually become a mama!"

"Shut up Bickslow!" Freed nearly screamed, blushing furiously. Laxus also was sporting a red face, and quickly turned towards Evergreen, gently lifting her upper body up. Freed used the blanket Bickslow had handed him and positioned it under Ever.

"But seriously, the kid you guys would have will be absolutely adorable." Bickslow said, trying to continue the conversation. "I can just imagine it! Blonde kid with rune magic and a kid attitude. Or maybe with a snotty, bratty attitude with anger issues. Ok I'll stop talking." Bickslow quickly cut off, not wanting to die from the killer glares both Freed and Laxus were aiming at him. Fortunately for him, Ever decided to wake up.

"Urgh.... my head!" Ever moaned, trying to sit up.

"Hey Ever stay down. You're injured and shouldn't move too much until we treat them." Freed said gently, going in to mama mode.

"Can I have some water?" Ever asked softly, her pounding head bothering her greatly. "And some medicine for my headache?"

"Of course." Freed said softly, handing her the water and pills.

"Oh yeah Laxus, who was that prim-prom blue hair guy standing with Freed?" Bickslow suddenly mentioned. Laxus noticeably tensed.

"Nobody." Laxus spat.

"Blue haired guy?" Freed said curiously, his interest suddenly piqued. "Who's that? How did he look like?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Laxus Dreyar tell me who this blue haired person was." Freed said, his voice suddenly chilling dark. Freed was one of the only people Laxus was genuinely scared of, having giving him a huge beating once. He would never forget the incident. He gulped.

"His name is... Cobalt. He's a water dragon slayer." Laxus stated.

"And?" Damn it Freed was sometime way too sharp and smart.

"He saved you, not me." Laxus said frustratingly.

"And?"

".. nothing else."

"Are you sure?"

"Ye-yes." Laxus gulped deeply, Freed's scrutinising gaze was digging deep inside him, and Laxus was scared of the consequences of him lying. But he definitely didn't want to tell Freed that another guy wanted to steal him away.

"Hmmm." Freed continued to stared at him piercingly, but Laxus didn't shy away, no matter how scared for his life he was. Eventually, Freed turned back to Ever.

That was too close. And way too scary.